Minitaur technical questions

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Krinor

Minitaur technical questions

Post by Krinor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 am

Hi,

I'm enjoying my Minitaur and find it a very flexible little synth. However I wonder if it is possible, for instance in the realm of midi, to do some little tweaks:

- Is it possible to somehow "unchain" the VCO's from receiving the same midi notes or cv signal so that I could send midi notes or cv to just one of them ? This would make the other a drone which is fun sometimes.

- Is it possible to adjust the initial gain of the VCA into a territory where it is always audible (/open) ?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

EMwhite

Re: Minitaur technical questions

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Not sure about your first question; the best you can do is to play with the 2nd OSC tuned a full octave up then play the highest valid range of OSC 1 (whilst #2 drones). Nowhere near what you are looking for though.

On your second question, I'm not aware of a way to keep the VCA open unless you do an intentional note hang via midi (latching sustain pedal), or wire up a switch by leveraging the ring of one of the expression pedal jacks to supply power to the KB Gate jack. See here: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto ... t=minitaur Note that this is an open Keyboard gate which not only actuates the VCA but also the envelope of the VCF; may not be what you want?

But I read over @ Muffwigglers forum that Amos was including an update to Sub-Phatty to support Looping Envelopes which would present interesting possibilities especially with the gate held.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Krinor

Re: Minitaur technical questions

Post by Krinor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you for your very good suggestions. Both are valid alternative methods, but as you said - not quite what I was after. What I want is a higher gain for the VCA which keeps the sound going at just about audible levels and then it gets louder in accordance with the envelope on top of this. Probably too much to ask in a synth this simple. But the thing sounds so damn good it's a pity it doesn't have just a few more simple features. Sending different cv's to the VCO's would probably require some soldering and the SMD board inside doesn't exactely ask to be modified...