Can't use Minitaur Editor + Ableton Ext. Instrument

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
axool

Can't use Minitaur Editor + Ableton Ext. Instrument

Post by axool » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello,
I can't use the minitaur editor and the ableton ext. instrument at the same time. If I launch the editor first, I can't select the minitaur in the menu of the external instrument. Is it normal? It seems like the usb port can't be used by 2 different softwares...

filosofem

Re: Can't use Minitaur Editor + Ableton Ext. Instrument

Post by filosofem » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:01 am

Neither can I. In fact I have previously started a thread expressing my concerns with the issue and have resigned to workarounds.
Aaron Mulqueen: Moog Subsequent 37 - MF 104M

emanresu

Post by emanresu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:08 am

I am using Live too and works fine for me (now) after having some problems. (http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14067). In order for the editor to work, both the editor and Minitaur have to be on Midi Channel 1.
Hope that helps.

jimp

Post by jimp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:19 am

I'm also having problems using Ableton (8.2.6 on Windows 7 64 bit) with the Minitaur editor (1.0).

If I open the editor it works fine, but if I then open Ableton it doesn't see the Minitaur MIDI in or out and doesn't receive MIDI from the Minitaur.

If I open Ableton it works fine, but if I then open the editor it doesn't show Minitaur knob changes and can't load patches.

It seems like the first app open gets access to the Minitaur and then denies it to the other.

Anything I can do to fix this? I'd really like to be able to use the editor and Ableton at the same time (as in Amos' video...)

Cheers,

Jim

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:49 am

jimp wrote:It seems like the first app open gets access to the Minitaur and then denies it to the other.

Anything I can do to fix this? I'd really like to be able to use the editor and Ableton at the same time (as in Amos' video...)
That's Windows for you; it works exactly as you say: the first program open gets "dibs" on a given MIDI input or output, and won't share it with other programs. It's a real nuisance once you get used to the ease of CoreMidi on a Mac... :)

One partial work-around for Windows is to use the Minitaur's USB to communicate with the Editor, and then use a separate DIN MIDI interface to send MIDI out from Live to the Minitaur (DIN MIDI input) for playback.