104 vs Time Machine

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
suthnear

104 vs Time Machine

Post by suthnear » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:20 am

Hi,

Has anyone here ever compared the 104 with a blacet time machine?

thoughts, comments, etc

tx

joec

Post by joec » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:20 am

I haven't tried the blacet time machine or the any of the 104s (...yet) but I did speak with Mr. Blacet about his device. As you probably know this, the time machine is delay module intended to work as part of a modular system. My inquiry was for it's application to guitar. It would have taken several additional components plus an external bypass loop box to allow for footswitch operation like a standalone stompbox. Even though the time machine is capable of longer delay times, his comment was that the fidelity diminished as the delay times got longer. Might not be desirable with guitar but could be workable in a synth type application...

8)

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:02 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned that I already have the time machine (d'oh!). As far as fidelity loss as delay time is increased, I would expect this from any BBD based device, but am especially curious as to how drastic the high frequency fall off is for the 104....

joec

Post by joec » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:09 pm

suthnear wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned that I already have the time machine (d'oh!). As far as fidelity loss as delay time is increased, I would expect this from any BBD based device, but am especially curious as to how drastic the high frequency fall off is for the 104....
It was a test right :wink: ...so how IS the rolloff on the Blacet? I was really tempted but had to consider all the other parts it seemed a long way to go about it...do you use yours standalone or in a system?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:00 pm

I have 2 of both(none for sale).

I think this latest batch of Time Machines sound better than the last. Maybe becaues my new TM is a MOTM format and the 1/4" provides better connections with whatever I plug into it.

I do think the Time Machine does get kinda dark after 1000ms(1 Second). I always thought that's why the MF-104 was set for 8ooms. I love the dark quality that both of these have. The TM is great for modular synths since you have so much of a frequency ranger to work with that mixed with all sorts of CV modulation makes it really fun.

A favorite patch is using:

1.Send some sort of S+H VCO into TM or MF-104

2.A S+H to control the delay rate as well.

3.Crank the Feedback/Regenertion on the delay.

4.Take a Clock out from the S+H to a EG then into a VCA with the Delay output.

Depending where the S+H delay is at, the delay will self ocillate at some times or have slow dub like delays at others?

Very organtic IDM/Glitch.

i am interested to see just how dark these new Moog Delays are going to sound

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:32 pm

The blacet starts getting dark at around 150ms with twilight at around 400ms. Thereafter the delayed sound is not necessarily recognisable as what you put in it :) The BTM has only got an 8KHz bandwidth under the very best conditions so it's not that bright even when used as a flanger. Moog is silent as to what the bandwidth of the 104 is and this is what originally inspired my question. The BTM also makes numerous high frequency squeezels and gurbils. Which may (or may not) offend a sensibility raised around the SNRs modern digital sound generating equipment usually features. I also wonder what the moog offers in this regard. So 104 owners: first question: how dark how quickly; second, what other sounds does the 104 bring to the party?

As for the BTM, I was charmed by it from the start but, initially anyway, was a bit troubled by some of the extraneous sounds it introduces to the mix. I figured that with a bit of work I'd be able to (largely) replicate its sound using VST effects - I would then use these for the more vanilla analogue delay effects and reserve the BTM for the truly whacky stuff. So, I messed around with the delay effects I already had (and I have some really cool ones like ohmboyz, psp84 and spektral delay). To these, I added additional filters and sample rate reducers and whatnot and even built a fairly complicated contraption in reaktor. I then d/led every free (or commercial demo) delay effect I could find. I had a lot of fun and created a bunch of really cool noises but, ultimately, the BTM had not been replaced. In fact it wasn't even close.

The BTM has a strange effect on the sounds you put into it. The resulting sound has this magical, blurred quality. The BTM seems to enhance and extend the rhythms in the sound you feed into it. No other delay I have ever tried does this in quite the same way. With all of the others it's a case of there's the sound, there's the delays: sound plus delays. What the BTM's delays do to the source sound is a bit like the Force: it surrounds the original signal and binds it.

And note that all of this was just for the BTM's basic delay sound: I didn't even attempt to try to match what happens when you start modulating its parameters. Just _turning_ the delay knob (much less CV modulating delay) produces some of the coolest sounds I have ever heard. It's my favourite modular module by far.

So, I was just wondering if the 104 was anywhere near as good because I'd really like such a cool device in standalone format but which still has a bunch of CV possibilities (the regen loop is also seriously tempting - the BTM doesn't have one). I have a line6 dl4 but compared to the blacet it just sounds like a cheap and brittle wannabe.

So, perhaps Moog. I don't think I'm using both kidneys anyway...

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:28 pm

Enough of the borax poindexter!

It seems like you've answered your own question.

The Moog MF-104 sounds awesome. They don't get darker as fast as the Time Machine. They delays are much more even sounding color wise.

I have no idea how the new ones will sound.

The effects loop does bring something special the party especally with a pitch shifter.

I also love the Electro Harmonix Memory Man. Too bad they don't make that delay longer and have CV inputs. They sound much richer than just about any analog delay.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:52 am

sir_dss wrote:Enough of the borax poindexter!
hehehehe
sir_dss wrote:It seems like you've answered your own question.
I also love the Electro Harmonix Memory Man.
and you've kind of unanswered it for me :) I'm going to check out the memory man and maybe get some wiard with the change instead...