Properly intonating your Moog Guitar.

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Croyote

Properly intonating your Moog Guitar.

Post by Croyote » Mon May 27, 2013 6:33 pm

Has anyone else been having difficulties with the intonation of their Moog Guitar?

The guitar has to be intonated in the playing position of the player. I suspect that intonation is being done while the guitar is laid flat or propped up on guitar bench laying flat. If one does this, the intonation will be correct if you play it like a lap steel; however, once you right the guitar into playing position the effect of gravity and magnetism will alter the position of the string by more than a few cents.

Intonating at the 12th fret does not seem to work, so I did a lot of research and trial by error.

It seems the best way to intonate your strings is by comparing the harmonic - flageolet at the 7th fret (or 19th) to the note at the 19th fret. Use a strobe tuner set on Equal Temperament, tune the pitch of the 7th fret harmonic until it is caged or dead center. Then compare to the note at the 19th fret. Alter the length of the string as necessary until the harmonic and fretted note match to your liking. Then tune the open strings of the guitar to standard pitch.

If you try to go back and compare the 12th fret note to it's harmonic, it may/may not match exactly, but it will sound right across the entire length of the string. Also chords will sound in tune in nearly every position. At least, to my ears.

I play a lot of jazz chords with altered tones and unusual combinations of open strings and fret notes. I'm finally satisfied with the intonation.

I'm curious to see if anyone else came up with solutions that worked for them.
Last edited by Croyote on Wed May 29, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Croyote

Re: Properly intonating your Moog Guitar.

Post by Croyote » Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 pm

As a further note, I would like to comment that it is quite possible that my guitar may have shifted due to atmostpheric changes, and this may have been the root of my problem and not the factory setup. It's perfect now.