phatty VCO.. and freqbox?

Everything Phatty.
spin

phatty VCO.. and freqbox?

Post by spin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:50 am

hi all :D

sry for noob question......i've bought an used LP. I know it is stage II but i don't know if it has the VCO....how i can check that?
wich are the possibilities with the phatty vco and a freqbox?

thanks in advance!

Sir Nose

Re: phatty VCO.. and freqbox?

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:15 pm

All LPs has two VCOs (voltage controlled oscillators) to produce sound and the filter can self oscillate at the cutoff frequency and produce sound. The LFO can go audible but in a very nasty way (not necessarily bad). But in general the OSC section produces sound, the lowpass filter section removes harmonics above a certain frequency, and the LFO section modifies a parameter (like moving a knob back and forth automatically.

You may have been referring to the CV out mod and not the VCO. If that is the case there will be 1/4" jacks on the right side of the instrument in addition to the standard ins on the left side.

As for the freq box check out
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... req#p73883

spin

Post by spin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Sir Nose wrote:All LPs has two VCOs (voltage controlled oscillators) to produce sound and the filter can self oscillate at the cutoff frequency and produce sound. The LFO can go audible but in a very nasty way (not necessarily bad). But in general the OSC section produces sound, the lowpass filter section removes harmonics above a certain frequency, and the LFO section modifies a parameter (like moving a knob back and forth automatically.

You may have been referring to the CV out mod and not the VCO. If that is the case there will be 1/4" jacks on the right side of the instrument in addition to the standard ins on the left side.

As for the freq box check out
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... req#p73883
oh thank you very much :D yes i was referring to the CV out mod.....at what i read on web it is a characteristic of the new solar edion of phatty...that's a little bit sad xD. where i can read about the possible uses of the CV outuput modification? i really need to study :mrgreen:

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:40 pm

The CV Out is a factory modification but as you said, the Solar edition comes with CV Outs right from the start.

I haven't opened up my Phatty (I have a Tribute w/CV mod) but you will likely see text on the circuit board noting certain sections of components and possibly, one or two of them can be brought straight out to a jack for external use (but I wouldn't risk earning a smoke show as a result). I believe there is at least one little daughter card added as a result of the mod.

If anybody is feeling adventurous, they can disassemble their Phatty before and after the mod and document with pictures. Until then, it worth the upgrade if you can find a place near you skilled and registered as a Moog tech. Really expands what you can with Foggers and other modular type gear.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

spin

Post by spin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:58 am

EMwhite wrote:The CV Out is a factory modification but as you said, the Solar edition comes with CV Outs right from the start.

I haven't opened up my Phatty (I have a Tribute w/CV mod) but you will likely see text on the circuit board noting certain sections of components and possibly, one or two of them can be brought straight out to a jack for external use (but I wouldn't risk earning a smoke show as a result). I believe there is at least one little daughter card added as a result of the mod.

If anybody is feeling adventurous, they can disassemble their Phatty before and after the mod and document with pictures. Until then, it worth the upgrade if you can find a place near you skilled and registered as a Moog tech. Really expands what you can with Foggers and other modular type gear.
thanks! on moog web site i ve read that the CV out mod upgrade is only for US customers... i have to find a place in my country xD