MIDI Sustain Pedal with LP as MIDI-control keyboard!

Everything Phatty.
Bensh

MIDI Sustain Pedal with LP as MIDI-control keyboard!

Post by Bensh » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi guys,

I'm sometimes putting my LP to use as MIDI-keyboard. I'm looking for a way to connect a regular sustain pedal and make it work.
I plugged the sustain pedal jack into all available plugs, to no avail. Do I have to change any settings on the LP or is there any way at all to make this happen?

Your suggestions are much appreciated, thanks a lot!

Cheers, Bensh

EMwhite

Re: MIDI Sustain Pedal with LP as MIDI-control keyboard!

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:55 pm

Bensh wrote:Hi guys,

I'm sometimes putting my LP to use as MIDI-keyboard. I'm looking for a way to connect a regular sustain pedal and make it work.
I plugged the sustain pedal jack into all available plugs, to no avail. Do I have to change any settings on the LP or is there any way at all to make this happen?

Your suggestions are much appreciated, thanks a lot!

Cheers, Bensh
I don't think this is possible. The KB Gate simply fires the gate (triggers Filter and Volume envelopes) for the internal Phatty OSCs.

What you want is something that instead sends a Midi CC#64 on (value 127). This could be implemented within the Phatty code so that if "MIDI LOCAL CNTRL=OFF" then the KB Gate is instead interpreted as a Midi sustain.

You can do this another way if you have a MutliPedal. Simply setup a channel as Momentary Gate, dial in CC#64 and play your Phatty (to your external Midi device) and stomp the footswitch on the MP to hold Sustain.

(another option is to use another Midi kbd simply for Sustain [if you are not otherwise using it]. I have an old Casio CZ-1 that I was using as a Midi controller for a long time and it translates the sustain pedal and simply sends a #64 regardless of what is being played on the keyboard)

Amos might have a better answer but that's my take on it; I'm pretty familiar with the options and a possible way to solve this.

Hope this helps (at least to explain this) somewhat.

Bensh

Post by Bensh » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:50 pm

thanks a lot for that. I've got a MultiPedal, but it's a second rate option for that task. Unless I find another way I'll have to work around it somehow.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Bensh

_DemonDan_

Re: MIDI Sustain Pedal with LP as MIDI-control keyboard!

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Bensh wrote:I'm looking for a way to connect a regular sustain pedal and make it work.
I plugged the sustain pedal jack into all available plugs, to no avail.
Hi Bensh,

One easy solution is literally MIDI Solutions:

http://midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

Take the MIDI Out of the Phatty into this box then MIDI Out of the box to your final destination.
The box merges your MIDI data from the Phatty with whatever CC# you want the box to create.
Plug a Sus pedal into the box and you're done.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _