Can someone help me recreate this sound?

Everything Phatty.
anoteoftruth

Can someone help me recreate this sound?

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Hey guys,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to recreate this sound..

check at the 0:15 mark..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il78kyjCDkc

I'm pretty sure he's layering monophonic lines.. I know for a fact he uses a LP in his setup, though this obviously could be a different synth.. but it sounds to me similar to a LP being multitracked. I just love the wobble kind of wonky sound the chords have, but can't get my lfo's quite to sound like this...

any ideas?
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:22 pm

i would say pw modulated sawtooth wave for start. and it's polyphonic definitely.
maybe through some chorus effect.. and pitch modulation, lfo or manually ...

just guessing 8)

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm

nikola wrote:i would say pw modulated sawtooth wave for start. and it's polyphonic definitely.
maybe through some chorus effect.. and pitch modulation, lfo or manually ...

just guessing 8)
The sound is polyphonic, but what makes you think it's from a polysynth? I think it can be doable w recording multiple lines of the lp.. you can hear some of the voices dropping in pitch and ascending/changing.. this could be done by playin a poly i suppose too, but theres something that sounds Moogy to be about it. And I know for a fact he uses a ton of LP in his music.

hmm i dont really hear a chorus effect in there much.. pitch modulation for sure.. i've tried doing stuff with the lfo that sounds like this, but it just never really sounds right in comparison.. seems like the timing for the pitch mod is sorta more human.. it's not incredibly consistant... hmmmmmm...

thanks! I'm gonna narrow this down till i get it!
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 pm

I'd say definitely start with a sawtooth source on your LFO and have it control the oscillators pitch, but set the amount really low, like a notch or two from zero. He's also most likely using either some sort of chorus effect, or it could be something really expensive like the electro harmonix HOG pedal. It sounds way cool, whatever he's doing... :D
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:43 am

I got it!

Weird enough I got it with my Nord Lead, with a pulse wave after narrowing the pulse and adding (like mentioned) a very mild pitch LFO amount n rate. Some EQ'ing and pretty much sounds exactly the same. I'll post the results when I finish the track :D Thanks guys.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:45 am

Oh and I shoulda mentioned.. there was some chorusing involved, in the way of blending it win with a second idential osc at a slightly detuned pitch... I only mixed in the second osc at maybe 15% or 20% Just to give it a bit of the chorusing but not to overpower... pretty much hits it right on the mark. A tad bit of reverb and it's there.

nikola

Post by nikola » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:51 am

glad you made it :)

you gave me idea to finish one of my songs, pw modulated 2xsawtooth waves with some filter sweeps, and chorusing the track by doubling it.
sounds like roof is on fire. thanks! :D

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 am

nikola wrote:glad you made it :)

you gave me idea to finish one of my songs, pw modulated 2xsawtooth waves with some filter sweeps, and chorusing the track by doubling it.
Sweet! Upload it and give us a link to it when your done :D

nikola

Post by nikola » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:19 am

anoteoftruth wrote:
nikola wrote:glad you made it :)

Sweet! Upload it and give us a link to it when your done :D
now how do i do that? never done that before :oops:
was i pushed or did i fall ?