Pitch Wheel PROBLEM (LP2 - NEW)

Everything Phatty.
jumpthefoss

Pitch Wheel PROBLEM (LP2 - NEW)

Post by jumpthefoss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Hallo, I've just bougth a new LP stage.
I have a big problem: the pitch wheel always works, it seam to "shake".

If I connect the phatty and the computer via midi, it never stops to send wheel signal to the pc.
If I don't move the wheel the midi value will be 0 and the value variation will have to correspond to wheel moves (up or down), correct?

I've already tried to calibrate everything (pitch wheel and general calibration), but nothing is changed.

the os version is 2.2

please help me and sorry for my bad english

regards, Sam

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 pm

yes it sounds like there is some noise in the pitch wheel. Or possibly a cable has come loose in shipping. Please email techsupport(@)moogmusic.com and we will help to make it right.

Kind regards,

Amos

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:41 am

I have a problem with my pitch wheel too. Downwards, it makes a screeching warble sound. Upwards, it doesn't do much at all.

I'm yet to test it in the studio; 1) via MIDI, and 2) via CV.

There is a test point on the board for the pitch bend, and I have plenty test gear in the workshop, including a scope (I build analog synths). I'll do some tests and post the results back, unless this problem is known already and can be fixed simply.

jumpthefoss

Post by jumpthefoss » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 am

Amos wrote:yes it sounds like there is some noise in the pitch wheel. Or possibly a cable has come loose in shipping. Please email techsupport(@)moogmusic.com and we will help to make it right.

Kind regards,

Amos

OK, I'LL WRITE NOW. THANK YOU AMOS

jumpthefoss

Post by jumpthefoss » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:25 am

If I'll want to open it to check the cables connections may I do it (without compromise the warranty)?!

jumpthefoss

Post by jumpthefoss » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 am

LektroiD wrote:I have a problem with my pitch wheel too. Downwards, it makes a screeching warble sound. Upwards, it doesn't do much at all.

I'm yet to test it in the studio; 1) via MIDI, and 2) via CV.

There is a test point on the board for the pitch bend, and I have plenty test gear in the workshop, including a scope (I build analog synths). I'll do some tests and post the results back, unless this problem is known already and can be fixed simply.

What means via CV exatly?

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 am

An undulating gain or drop in voltage would achieve this

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 am

Lectroid, in your case I would recommend to run all Calibrations in order before scoping out the CVs... or you can look at the CV and if it looks smooth, don't fret until you've run the calibrations. Note Calibration and Pitch Wheel calibration are the two important ones for this issue. Certainly if pitch wheel calibration is not correct you can get symptoms such as you describe.

To do the pitch wheel calibration you go to master menu, System Utilities, Calibration... choose pitch wheel, press Enter. Then move the pitch wheel all the way up, all the way down, then let go and allow the wheel to return to center. I usually tap on the case next to the wheel to make sure it's settled in a natural position. Then press Enter. See if the problem goes away.

Cheers,

Amos

jumpthefoss

Post by jumpthefoss » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm

To do the pitch wheel calibration you go to master menu, System Utilities, Calibration... choose pitch wheel, press Enter. Then move the pitch wheel all the way up, all the way down, then let go and allow the wheel to return to center. I usually tap on the case next to the wheel to make sure it's settled in a natural position. Then press Enter. See if the problem goes away.

I've already done this procedures (more times), but nothing is changed.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:37 pm

jumpthefoss wrote:I've already done this procedures (more times), but nothing is changed.
I understand. In your case, I don't expect a calibration would change anything. In LektroiD's case, it might help.

Kind regards,

Amos

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Amos wrote:Lectroid, in your case I would recommend to run all Calibrations in order before scoping out the CVs... or you can look at the CV and if it looks smooth, don't fret until you've run the calibrations. Note Calibration and Pitch Wheel calibration are the two important ones for this issue. Certainly if pitch wheel calibration is not correct you can get symptoms such as you describe.

Cheers,

Amos
I did those calibrations, that was the first thing I checked. Anyway, I have now tried the pitch bend via MIDI, the same fault occured. However, I run an external LFO into the CV, which worked fine, without any shrieking digital noise (which sounds similar to a ZX81 tape loading).

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:34 pm

LektroiD wrote:I did those calibrations, that was the first thing I checked. Anyway, I have now tried the pitch bend via MIDI, the same fault occured.
Interesting. Have you done a full Note Calibration as well? If not, try this and then try the pitch bend via MIDI again. If no joy, or if you've done this already prior to the MIDI test, contact me at amos at moogmusic dot com and we'll go further. The fact it happens via MIDI rules out the pitch wheel pot, at least...

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Amos,

I did all the calibrations you mentioned. I sent an email yesterday as suggested, did you get it?

Richie