New to Moog and to synth

Everything Phatty.
chris.gotfunk

New to Moog and to synth

Post by chris.gotfunk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 am

Hey all,

I am new to this world of keyboard synth. I am a bass player of 19 years now who delved into some stompbox effects to try and get these tones, but I shortly realized... it can't be done without a real one. So, I am picking up my LPII on Friday. I am pretty stoked. I have a coverband that does a lot of current music like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Usher, etc... and I really need to cop some of those tones. Not to mention expand my horizon as a musician.

What kind of stand is best used for these live? They don't seem very wide to fit on a regular stand. I plan to keep my bass strapped on as well while I play, so sitting down is not an option.

Thanks all.
Peace,
Chris

Squid Tempest

Post by Squid Tempest » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

I recently splashed out on a stand made by this company in Germany:

http://www.jaspers-alu.de/eng/index.html

and I highly recommend them. Sturdy and steady as a rock, and light too. I don't know where you're based, but if you're in Europe these are definitely worth considering. Not cheap though, I guess.

I particularly like the modular design - you can add music stands, laptop stands etc etc.

chris.gotfunk

Post by chris.gotfunk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for the info. I am here in the United States. I may try a traditional keyboard stand or a two tier and just use the top tier.
www.thecongressband.com

tript

Post by tript » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Cheap and effective to just buy a piece of wood and lay it across your current stand. That's what I do.

If you have the bread, a solid T (Apex) stand is fine. My tried and true brands are:

QuikLok: http://www.quiklok.com
Ultimate: http://www.ultimatesupport.com/

chris.gotfunk

Post by chris.gotfunk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for the tips. I wanted to avoid the wood thing, but I may just get a piece, paint it black and use that.

I am paying $700 for my used LPII. Is that a good price on a used one? It is in perfect condition. The only thing it is missing is the original box... but who cares about that right?
www.thecongressband.com

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:33 pm

The original box is useful if your gonna send it in to Moog for a facotry upgrade.. but dude.. 700$ for a LP is a great price. That's half of what I paid for mine.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

chris.gotfunk

Post by chris.gotfunk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:33 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:The original box is useful if your gonna send it in to Moog for a facotry upgrade.. but dude.. 700$ for a LP is a great price. That's half of what I paid for mine.
I was hoping to contact Moog if need be and pay for original packaging. Not sure what factory upgrades are out there though. At this time, I have no desire to send it in.... But, what are the new factory upgrades?
www.thecongressband.com

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:07 pm

The CV mod is the only mod. If you have a LP SE II

http://www.moogmusic.com/modifications/ ... t_id=21346

Dean

chris.gotfunk

Post by chris.gotfunk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

slabwax wrote:The CV mod is the only mod. If you have a LP SE II

http://www.moogmusic.com/modifications/ ... t_id=21346

Dean
Very cool. Thank you. I don't see myself needing that update. I will have my hands full enough learning the unit and how to play.

Peace,
Chris
www.thecongressband.com

tript

Post by tript » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

At 700 bucks you're saving more than enough money to buy an ATA hard shell case if needed.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Depending on what model you have.. if you have USB on the side, than it's up to date except for the CV mod... which, if this is your only synth gear you own, won't be of any use to you untill you acquire more gear.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

chris.gotfunk

Post by chris.gotfunk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:55 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:Depending on what model you have.. if you have USB on the side, than it's up to date except for the CV mod... which, if this is your only synth gear you own, won't be of any use to you untill you acquire more gear.
Yes, it is the model with the USB on the side. I don't plan on getting any other synth gear (famous last words from a bass player), so I hope I am okay with just this.

I cannot wait to get it and just play around and learn it. I love a good challenge!! 8)
www.thecongressband.com

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I don't plan on getting any other synth gear (famous last words from a bass player)
You are dead on there haha. I was serious into guitar for ten years before I got my hands on a synth.. now I think I'm addicted haha. The LP is a really great introduction to analog synthesis. I found the layout was simple enough to get a hang of what does what, what effects what etc. OSC to Filter to Amp etc etc... it's great to get your hands on and learn by playing around, what does what soundwise.

I just upgraded to the LP's daddy, the Voyager.. I never thought I would've got one but man am I glad I did.. I'm glad I started w the Phatty first though, as it gave me a great understanding of each component before I upgraded.

lexsadler

Post by lexsadler » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Congratulations on getting the Phatty!

I'm a bass player too who started playing key bass over a year ago now.

I started with the Phatty.

Then added a Voyager... LOL!

It's addictive... I almost prefer playing key bass over real bass on a lot of gigs... the other thing is it's helped me get more work as a lot of producers and artists want that synth bass tone that you can't reproduce with pedals!

All the best

Lex
[url=http://www.myspace.com/lexsadler]Visit me on Myspace[/url]

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm

lexsadler wrote:the other thing is it's helped me get more work as a lot of producers and artists want that synth bass tone that you can't reproduce with pedals!
Very true!!! I find the LP and Voyager useful in so many genres. Also, I personally find a huge difference in sound with the LP vs the Voyager.