Little Phatty is out of tune

Everything Phatty.
steve3186

Little Phatty is out of tune

Post by steve3186 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am

Hi all

I have my Little Phatty for about 2 weeks now. Love it to bits but I cannot help but notice that it has gone out of tune.

I have looked through the manual but I cannot find anywhere that tells you how to retune it.

Any help most welcome

I need to adjust the fine tune up by one mark on the synth.

Cheers
Steve

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 pm

There is indeed a calibration section in the manual detailing how to calibrate the Little Phatty. Following that procedure should get you back in tune. Also, keeping it in autotune mode will keep it in tune once the calibration is complete. And don't forget to let it warm up before playing. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

steve3186

Post by steve3186 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

I have looked in the manual, page 61, and it doesn't say how to re-tune it? It just tells me about the CA preset. Its more or less a semi-tone out?

When you say let it warm up... should I leave it on for 5 minutes before touching the keys?

I am not a novice when it comes to synths usualy but this is my first one that can go out of tune, or at least encountered.

Cheers,
Steve

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 pm

The little phatty is flat when you first turn it on, and goes sharper as it warms up. If you let it warm up for a good 10-15 minutes and then set the fine tune, it should stay solidly on pitch for the duration of the time you're using it. If you switch it off overnight and play it the moment you switch it back on the next day it will be flat again because it's cold... but let it warm up without adjusting the tuning and you should find that it warms up to the same pitch you set previously. Leaving the Tuning Mode = Auto usually makes this something you don't even need to think about. In general it's good practice not to try recording your analog synths until they've had a chance to warm up; I always switch on the analogs in my studio first thing, then boot up the computer, make a cup of tea, etc... by the time I'm all situated, the synths are in tune. :)

steve3186

Post by steve3186 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 pm

So I have warmed this up for 10 mins and just tuned it using the fine tune.

How do I set this thing to auto-tune so I don't have to do this? I have looked in the manual but no joy :(

I am hoping to take this on the road and having to tune it every gig will be a right pain but auto tune would be great if I can get it working.

Thanks in advance.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:51 am

Press the master button and scoll to tune, press the cursor, turn the value knob and choose between on, off, or auto. With auto seclected you can choose which note the LP tunes to. This is helpful if you play more in a particular range, keyboard tracking will be tighter.

CRJ

just

Post by CRJ » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:07 am

just buy a guitar tuner for 5 bucks and you will be fine. all i have ever had to do is just let mine warm up for 10 minutes, and its usually spot on. if the room is particularly cold, its a little flat, but the fine tune knob and a tuner does the trick. and vice versa also (hot room. sharp)

kiddell2

Post by kiddell2 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:24 am

Have had my LP two weeks, but no probs with tuning, even when cold (touch wood) :) :)

Squid Tempest

Re: Little Phatty is out of tune

Post by Squid Tempest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 am

I'm having tuning problems with my LP. Can anyone explain in simple terms what the figures on the Autotune page represent - the ones that look like "79:84"? I've read the manual, but I'm afraid I can't suss it out.

I suspect my LP is out of tune due to a control voltage offset from my sequencer (Doepfer MAQ). I'm going to try disconnecting this tonight when I get home to test the theory. Currently a C is playing as a G#, and the fine tune knob doesn't go round far enough to offset this.

I also have a CP-251 which, presumably, I could use to do any required offsetting.

Any advice on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated, as would a fuller description of the workings of Tune On, Tune Off and Autotune...