Got my LPII in today!

Everything Phatty.
The Fooch

Got my LPII in today!

Post by The Fooch » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Greetings all! I just got it today and fooled around for a little bit so I'm still working kinks out.

Thought I'd ask some advice about what to do about this fun and varied instrument. I'm still new to so much about the Moog (I'm only 24) so any suggestions and/or guides would be good.

But there is a real good question about this awesome instrument. I'm a metal drummer (well, more like hard rock/gothic metal) and I'm trying to start a band myself. I want this as a lead...any help with settings to get me a decent mainstream sound that's NOT techno or poppy?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:33 pm

The best thing I can suggest to get you started is to push buttons and turn knobs until you have a sound that you like. Start with the Calibration setting...you can then save your sound to any one of the numbered presets. Experimentation is the key here. Also, Knob Tweak is a great resource for patches and tips. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:00 am

Yeah man, what Voltor said!

In addition to that, realize that synthesis is a fun and rewarding journey. You'll learn a lot about sound along the way.

Just dig in, read the manual if you're new to synthesis - it's very good - and let your muse be your guide.

Have fun, keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,

PK

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I agree with the others guys. Best way to learn the LP, is turn knobs, press buttons, play around with things to learn what they do. Then eventually, you can think of a sound in your head, and go to town trying to replicate it. If you want more of a buzz sound, press the wave button and turn the knob, turn the cutoff up. If you want a more filtered sound, do the opposite haha. If you want a metalic sound, play with the resonance. Go to town with the LFO types and see what you can come up with.

I think the LP is a great great great beginners synth. I say that because,

1. It's layout and functions are simple, to the point, easy to learn, and give you a good clear understanding of how basic synthesis works. VCO to filter, cutoff, res, lfo, all of that. You'll know from experience in your ears what each one of those do and mean soon enough. It makes looking at more complex synthesizer layouts a lot easier to understand.

2. The sound you will get from it is high high high quality. Anything Moog will be. Wether you use it in a high school band, or in a professional studio... it brings high quality and very unique sound to your music.

Pair it up with other gear you have, amps, effects, software or whatever.. You can pretty much do anything with it when your recording. Being a drummer I think you'll find it incredibly useful.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:44 am

Tweak and listen is great and by far the method I still use most. Check out the Welsh Cookbook if you want to learn some more direct approaches. The calibration can be tedious, but once thats done dialing in patches will give you an idea of how to produe different sounds.

I don't play metal. I was a metalhead... once and young. I have a feeling the overdrive in the filter section is going to be a good friend of yours.

The Fooch

Post by The Fooch » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks guys. I started fooling around recently and came up with a really nice grunge sound using the 'It goes to 11' setting and fooling around on Adobe audition.

If I could find some way to privately post the stuff I recorded when I was fooling around I'd let you guys listen to it.

Image That's my drumset and my moog. These are the only instruments being used for this band so it's going to be interesting.[/img]

tript

Post by tript » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:55 pm

The Fooch wrote:Image That's my drumset and my moog. These are the only instruments being used for this band so it's going to be interesting.[/img]
One cymbal for every LP key is not necessary.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:49 am

tript wrote:
One cymbal for every LP key is not necessary.
It is for heavy metal. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.