Best Bang Laptop Ideas ?

Everything Phatty.
sixsinisters

Best Bang Laptop Ideas ?

Post by sixsinisters » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi, I need suggestions on a new affordable pc laptop for recording and music production (brand and model to go and to avoid), and please .. no mac suggestion.

Since there are lots of them out there, i just need inputs from fellow players on this forum and which you guys are using. Best bang for under $600 preferably (cos i'm broke but urgently need one). Are there any decent ones on that price range? and I also heard about the TI chipsets against the problematic ricoh's on firewire compatibility. But hard to determine which laptops uses which?

Thanks!
Really, it's not those so-called 'vintage' nor 'analogs' but to have a good heart and good instict is the key..

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:10 am

Search ebay for the brand names Sager and Clevo. These are often the same models as Alienware laptops but without the hefty markup. You can often find one that was top of the line a few years ago for thousands less than new, and still very useful for music production. Look for at least a dual-core 2+ GHz, 2-4GB RAM capacity. You can often save money by finding one with less installed RAM or smaller hard drives as long as the laptop model can be upgraded to the stats you need... Then get the extra ram or bigger hard drives for cheap on pricewatch.com or newegg.
Get model numbers from the auctions and then google them to compare detailed specs and upgrade options for that model.
If you're a little patient though, $600 should be able to get you a fairly killer secondhand laptop if you are savvy. That's what I paid for my 4GHz Alienware laptop, and I got my wife a Clevo laptop with dual core 2.4 GHz processor and dual RAID hard drives for about 350.

Good luck!

IAmos