Weird interaction with Logic Pro 7?

Everything Phatty.
r05c03

Weird interaction with Logic Pro 7?

Post by r05c03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:24 am

Okay so I have been doing some more focused multi-track recording of some music lately. To accomplish this I first record the MIDI from my Machine Drum into Logic Pro 7 and separate the channels into to separate MIDI tracks and then individually record each instrument's audio.

I know that correlation is not causation, but my LP has been acting odd since taking commands from Logic 7. The patch name on the display will turn to gibberish nonsense symbol, the patch will change tone or timbre, severely in some cases. I get keyboard overrun errors. last night I gota data error type 3 and I had to reinstall the operating system to get back functionality. This all happens seemingly exclusively when interacting with Logic 7.

The LP seemed to be fine before this. What might Logic Pro be doing to make things so wonky? Thanks.
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

Johnny_Cradle

Post by Johnny_Cradle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 am

Interestingly enough, I experienced the same errors with Logic 8 a while ago and also had to re-install.

Amos also thought it to be weird for Logic to do this, but was suspcting the communication between the LP and Logic. I don't know if it still does this because after it did it the 2nd time while I was using Logic as a clock source, I did the 16 finger restore settings combo and haven't connected my LP to Logic since.

Interested to find the answer, though.
Maybe PM Amos for the solution?
http://www.johnnycradle.com/ | Little Phatty SII | Fender Rhodes 88

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:09 am

Interesting. Thanks for that additional independent data point..

another thing that I will mention is that Logic 7 was not playing arpeggio patterns back correctly. I recorded a "chord" an arpeggio chord from the MD and of course the CC message for the arpeggiator to kick on. When played back from Logic 7 it would play through the pattern once and then stop arpeggiating (as if it was set on "play once", but it was not). When I hooked the LP back up to the MD it played jut fine.

Weird.

Amos

Re: Weird interaction with Logic Pro 7?

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:28 pm

r05c03 wrote: What might Logic Pro be doing to make things so wonky? Thanks.
First thing I would suspect is a MIDI feedback loop. You have to be careful to avoid these.

Second, here is some cut 'n paste info from my files regarding Logic and MIDI CCs...
Amos' hard drive wrote: Fix for problem: Moog synth MIDI controllers are messing with Logic

2 easy fixes:
1) in Logic, under File menu, File->project settings->MIDI; select Input Filter tab, check "filter MIDI control changes"

2) if monitoring Moog synth's audio thru Logic; you have to have an audio track in record... as long as this track is not selected, problem doesn't happen
Logic only sees cc changes if the audio track is selected
so simply de-select audio track that you're monitoring the Moog through.
People who don't monitor audio thru Logic, shouldn't have this problem to begin with.

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks Amos. I am sure that there is no Feedback loop because I am just sending MIDI control IN to the LP and not OUT of it.

Whatever is happening is coming strictly from Logic 7. I have had not trouble sending MIDI control from Logic 7 and into the Machine drum (to multi-track percussion tracks), into my FRXS (not that I would expect because it is much simpler than the LP in many way) Into my Sherman, or into the Voyager, yet. It is definitely strange.

I will keep observing though and take a look at those MIDI settings.

badsound

Post by badsound » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:03 pm

when I use the LP with any daw, I make sure to
disable local control, and, with your ARP issue-are you
turning arp off in LP when you want to play back the arp you've recorded?
I know it seems obvious, but it stuck me for a minute....
David

r05c03 wrote:Thanks Amos. I am sure that there is no Feedback loop because I am just sending MIDI control IN to the LP and not OUT of it.

Whatever is happening is coming strictly from Logic 7. I have had not trouble sending MIDI control from Logic 7 and into the Machine drum (to multi-track percussion tracks), into my FRXS (not that I would expect because it is much simpler than the LP in many way) Into my Sherman, or into the Voyager, yet. It is definitely strange.

I will keep observing though and take a look at those MIDI settings.
moog voyager rack-Moog Opus 3- 2 Moog delays- midi murf-eventide timefactor delay- EH 2880 looper- Mackie onyx 1640i- filter queens-casio vltones-Moog Guitar-Prophet 08-Jack Deville Dark Echo pedal---MPC5000--akai Z4--Yamaha tx16w--spx90-rev 7 --protools9

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:25 pm

badsound wrote:when I use the LP with any daw, I make sure to
disable local control, and, with your ARP issue-are you
turning arp off in LP when you want to play back the arp you've recorded?
I know it seems obvious, but it stuck me for a minute....
David
Thanks. I will give check into what happens when I set Local Control to off.

As regard to your ARP question. The information that the LP was originally receiving from Logic was the same as the information it received from the Mahcine Drum, three notes triggered for X amount of time to produce an arpeggio. It plays properly coming from the MD but not from Logic. I eventually worked around this problem by feeding the LP MIDI info from the MD but recording the MIDI coming from the LP which of course consists of the different notes triggered while actively arpeggiating. I was then able to send that information back into the LP with the ARP off and record my audio the way I wanted.