Bessie Got Wood

Everything Phatty.
nickster

Bessie Got Wood

Post by nickster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Well I finally went ahead and did it. I gave Bessie (my Stage II LP) a little birthday present and carved her some walnut sides, took forever to varnish them and finally fitted her out with them over the week-end. Thought you all might wish to see the result. Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]

The studio stinks of oil varnish right now me being so impatient to have Bessie back in her rightful place!
Trying to figure a way to spray paint the left side metal plate in black then stencil the names in white for the various audio/cv plugs.
Nick

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:25 am

That walnut looks awesome with the black back panel! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

nickster

Post by nickster » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:58 am

Voltor07 wrote:That walnut looks awesome with the black back panel! :mrgreen:
Thanks, glad you like it. BTW thanks to your mod I was inspired. I had some leftover walnut from another project. Still am trying to figure a way to get the side logo done or may just leave it. Not something I would like to try out without some practice. I have some left over wood so I will be making some sides or a box for my Tetra when it arrives. Black on walnut seems to be a workable combo.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:02 am

Beautiful!
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:17 pm

I love how the grain just pops with that finish! You did a beautiful job.

:D

Franz Schiller

Post by Franz Schiller » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey Nickster, that looks great.

If I may ask, how did you do the side panel with the output jacks? What I mean is, the original Stage LP has the power output, cv in/outs, etc cut outs all as one piece of the side panel, but yours looks like a separate plate or something... how did you approach doing that?

I ask because I'm having my buddy (who's a cabinet maker) make me maple sides for my LP and I was trying to figure out what to do with jacks.

Thanks!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Franz Schiller wrote:Hey Nickster, that looks great.

If I may ask, how did you do the side panel with the output jacks? What I mean is, the original Stage LP has the power output, cv in/outs, etc cut outs all as one piece of the side panel, but yours looks like a separate plate or something... how did you approach doing that?

I ask because I'm having my buddy (who's a cabinet maker) make me maple sides for my LP and I was trying to figure out what to do with jacks.

Thanks!
The rubber side panels have metal plates behind them. You first must remove all the screws on the left side panel in order to separate the metal piece from the rubber one. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:52 am

beautiful wood sides. that LP looks sah-weet.
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

Franz Schiller

Post by Franz Schiller » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Voltor07 wrote: The rubber side panels have metal plates behind them. You first must remove all the screws on the left side panel in order to separate the metal piece from the rubber one. :wink:

That is great news. That will make things much easier. Thanks a ton.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 am

I wasn't so crazy of the choice of the red + orange LEDs before on the LPs, but with the wood grain, I love how warm the synth looks!

Lemme know how you make out with the stenciling. I've been thinking of painting a few of my synths (not my moogs ) to match each other better. But how to get the labels back on after the fact is a puzzle.