sequncing LP with laptop

Everything Phatty.
octoplus

sequncing LP with laptop

Post by octoplus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:40 pm

I know there are similar post to this one but I need specifics bc im a total synth noob. I read some threads about software you can buy to sequence the LP. I was just wondering how you would set up the LP to do this. Also, could you use the sequencer in Reason 4.0 to do this?

My LP will be here on monday and i want to get the most out of it.
Thanks!

nickster

Hi there

Post by nickster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 pm

Regarding Reason and LP, sadly at present you cant use LP with Reason directly however with Record you can track the LP into one of it's audio tracks and thus record your LP into a reason based track. However if you want to take full advantage of the LP you will need a DAW that can handle midi in and out such as Cubase. Or Reaper if you aint got the readies. When the new LP VST comes out made by Rekon Audio you will have an even easier integration with your DAW and the LP. Amos has stated it should be out soon so you wont have long to wait. I full expect Record to integrate midi in and out in the next update although I am not confirming this but am stating my own opinion. When questioned directly about this Ernst the CEO of Propellerheads (they make Record and Reason) did not state they would not be doing this in the future but was as ever unwillling to directly confirm that they would. Quite right as it would not be clever for him to predict what they will exactly do until they are done, so being their excellent track record for puttting out software that is as flawless as it can be.
In the meantime I am very happpy to track my LP in to Record and use all of it's effects to mangle up the sound even more ;) the Dual delay effect especially grabs my noodles! If I need to midi sequence it then Cubase 5 is my choice.
Nick

octoplus

Post by octoplus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:27 pm

To clarify, i'm talking about writing a sequence on my laptop and them controlling the LP with that sequence. Not sampling it. More for live use so i can concentrate on( for lack of a better word) 'twisting knobs' lol. Anyway, are you saying cubase 5 can do that?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm not particularly up to date on Reason (I have version 2.5), but in my version you can't control external things from Reason. In other words, there is no way to Reason to send MIDI to the Little Phatty. I'm not sure if more recent versions add that functionality.

If you are on a Mac, definitely download Numerology to demo. It is a step sequencing program (kind of like the Matrix Pattern Sequencer in Reason, but about 1,000,000 times more flexible/powerful) and is really useful for controlling a Little Phatty via MIDI. I find it to be really inspiring.

Bryan

octoplus

Post by octoplus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:40 pm

I'm a PC. What about Sonicbytes ERA or Sugarbytes Eloquence? I'm on a stage II so can i just use the USB?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:47 pm

Disregarding platform (because it doesn't matter although you may have more trouble on a PC than on a Mac depending on your OS, etc.)...

You can plug USB from the LP into your PC. Then, wherever you configure MIDI (either in a system control panel or in the app you are using) you will pick the USB MIDI driver that should appear automagically in your software.

Enable USB MIDI in/out (if not already) on the LP (read the manual for this) and set it to send and receive on channel 1. Do the same in the software you are using. Now you can play the LP and record the notes in the software and play back the software and hear it on the LP.

Your mileage may vary but those are the basics.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

octoplus

Post by octoplus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks for the quick responses! Has anyone actual done this that can tell me about it?

nickster

Yes

Post by nickster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:20 am

octoplus wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! Has anyone actual done this that can tell me about it?
I use Cubase 5 for this but you can equally use Abletn Live, Logic or Reaper etc.
In Cubase I create a midi track. I then select the Midi out of that track to route to the LP. I then draw some midi notes into that track and then hit play on Cubase and the LP now plays these notes that I drew. I can now loop these notes if I want to create a sequence. Add a little bit of fx's and hey presto I'm in analogue noodling land.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:35 pm

There are lots of freeware midi sequencers out there to test the waters with.

octoplus

Re: Yes

Post by octoplus » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:52 pm

nickster wrote:
octoplus wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! Has anyone actual done this that can tell me about it?
I use Cubase 5 for this but you can equally use Abletn Live, Logic or Reaper etc.
In Cubase I create a midi track. I then select the Midi out of that track to route to the LP. I then draw some midi notes into that track and then hit play on Cubase and the LP now plays these notes that I drew. I can now loop these notes if I want to create a sequence. Add a little bit of fx's and hey presto I'm in analogue noodling land.
Can't Reason 4 do that? I don't have it so I don't really know

CTRLSHFT

Re: Yes

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 pm

octoplus wrote:
nickster wrote:
Can't Reason 4 do that? I don't have it so I don't really know
Reason doesn't have MIDI outs. Nor does Record. It's a shame, even w/o VST support, MIDI outs alone would make it way more valuable.
www.ctrlshft.com

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:25 pm

+1 ableton live, very nice.
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

cane creek

Post by cane creek » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:43 am

octoplus wrote:I'm a PC. What about Sonicbytes ERA or Sugarbytes Eloquence? I'm on a stage II so can i just use the USB?
You would create a Mono Audio track in your DAW thats where the little phatty Audio would play from , using Audio out on the little phatty into Audio in on your soundcard.

Then you would create a midi track in your DAW and route Little phattys Midi to it , then on that midi track you could add plugins like Eloquence etc , The USB would take care of the midi side of things.
[url=http://www.canecreek.co.uk/]canecreek.co.uk[/url]

tele-pet

Post by tele-pet » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:49 am

Bryan T wrote:
If you are on a Mac, definitely download Numerology to demo. It is a step sequencing program (kind of like the Matrix Pattern Sequencer in Reason, but about 1,000,000 times more flexible/powerful) and is really useful for controlling a Little Phatty via MIDI. I find it to be really inspiring.

Bryan
Numerology just got a really interesting update that adds Novation Launchpad functionality. I'm just a day into it, but pretty darn fun and inspiring. Cheaper than a Monome, just as colorful and fun but with more functionality than a BeatSeqr, and really feels like an intuitive, hardware sequencer.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:00 am

For a step sequencer, I like to use Thesys by Sugar-Bytes. It's pretty powerful.
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/produ ... hp?lang=en
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney