Samples

Everything Phatty.
Charlemagne

Samples

Post by Charlemagne » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am

Hello,

I tried a Little Phatty at the store the other day and liked it's warm, thick sound. Ideally, I could bring one home and compare it to Zebra and FabFilter's Twin to see how much difference there is, but that's not feasible at the moment.

I was wondering if anybody had some wav file examples of basic patches from the LP that I could download and see how they compare to my soft synths? Or if you have a direct comparison between Zebra and LP, that'd be great as well!

Thank you,
C

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:12 pm

there really is no comparison...your softsynths will only sound as good as the hardware you running them through...i use both softsynths and have a LPTE....no comparison...the LP sounds WAY better than even top of the line Arturia Moogs. There is a depth to the real analog that you cant reproduce in digital....mebbe if we had 1024 bit systems but thats a few years off yet i think ;). If you want real analog sound you gotta buy a real analog synth. Buy it you wont be sorry you did.

Cheers ;)

DL

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:52 pm

yeah honestly, I tried the softsynth route... does'nt compare at all. It's like the difference between buying a no name guitar at radioshack, and buying a gibson les paul. You won't get the kind of warmth you get with a LP on a softsynth.. infact, I have a couple analog synths and some virtual analog, and I'd go as far as saying you won't get that kind of warmth on anything but a Moog.

I agree there are'nt many sounds and things up anywhere for people to check out other than a few demos on youtube, but when I was looking before I bought mine, the youtube videos didnt really give me what I was looking for.. didn't know i needed one till i played one.

The presets are generally pretty good, but the beauty of the LP is the kind of sounds you can create on your own. I'll try getting some samples up for you when I get home, but beleive me... no softsynth has anything on a LP.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. Have you tried the new generation of softsynths, such as Zebra and Sylenth1? Those are the ones I wanted to compare a raw WAV file too if possible.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 am

Try to recreate this leadsound on one of your softsynths: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6995472747 (after about 1 minute)

It was the only reason I wanted a Moog synthesizer! :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:56 am

i have zebra and a phatty and all i can say is the phatty is "thicker" and more "alive"than any softsynth mentioned.

but....
in my experience as a home producer to get it in the mix right,it needs to be thinned out a little to sit with everything else,so.....the choice is yours.

on the plus side you will own a moog synth and play with a "real" synths knobs!

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am

Well I picked an LP up yesterday to try out. Gonna compare it to Zebra, Sylenth, Minimonsta, Twin2, and Massive. My initial impressions are it has a great interface for a hardware synth - very user friendly. In terms of the sound however, I just find it different to those software synths, not necessarily better. And considering you can probably buy all of those software synths for the price of the LP (and get polyphony), I'm not sure it's worth it so far...we'll see though.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing / looking for that will really articulate or magnify the difference would be appreciated.

perault

Post by perault » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Perhaps obvious but make sure to turn effects (reverbs, delays, etc) off in your soft synths, or add the corresponding to the LP for a fair comparison.
LP TE #531

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:22 pm

yes good point and easy point to forget with soft synths. :wink:

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Yes, I made sure to disable all the effects (that I could) and make the sounds mono. Here is a little example of the LP, Zebra, Fabfilter Twin2, Minimonsta, Sylenth1, FM8, and Massive (not in that order).

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f2eb ... f6e8ebb871

The goal wasn't to make the synths sound identical (I'm not a good sound designer), but to explore whether the LP distinguished itself from the soft synths so blatantly that it warranted the price tag. In the example above, it certainly does sound good, but not sure if that means it sounds "better" or just "different".