Newbie question - recording LP into Garageband

Everything Phatty.
juliussharpe

Newbie question - recording LP into Garageband

Post by juliussharpe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi

I'm new to the world of MIDI. I'm able to use my LP to use the software sounds in Garageband through my USB port but so far am unable to somehow interface my LP to hear/record its own sounds in Garageband.

Will I be able to do this straight through USB? Or can I only use the USB to have the LP as a controller? If so, how do I get my LP to play its own sounds into Garageband? By going through a mixer?

Thanks.

CTRLSHFT

Re: Newbie question - recording LP into Garageband

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:09 pm

juliussharpe wrote:Hi

I'm new to the world of MIDI. I'm able to use my LP to use the software sounds in Garageband through my USB port but so far am unable to somehow interface my LP to hear/record its own sounds in Garageband.

Will I be able to do this straight through USB? Or can I only use the USB to have the LP as a controller? If so, how do I get my LP to play its own sounds into Garageband? By going through a mixer?

Thanks.
USB only transmits MIDI with the LP, you will need an audio interface to connect to the DAW [Garage Band] with.
www.ctrlshft.com

juliussharpe

Post by juliussharpe » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:40 am

Thank you!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:05 am

Or, if you don't mind clipping, you can run the Audio out from the LP to the Audio IN of the Mac's soundcard. Are you using a MacBook? If so, the input is next to the headphone jack. To avoid the clipping, run the LP to a mixer first, and run the mixer to the audio in. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.