Any tips on getting a nice wobble sound.

Everything Phatty.
Fogflip

Any tips on getting a nice wobble sound.

Post by Fogflip » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:15 pm

I recently have been trying to get a nice dub step style wobble but think im missing something in the steps for proper deep wobbliness any help would be awesome. I have been assigning the the lfo to filter with saw wave its almost their but not getting the unf that you hear.

Pewt

Post by Pewt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:51 am

I use my ring mod- you can get super deep bass wobbles if you go LP>Ring Mod>Low Pass filter (with the envelope follower around 8).

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 am

fogflip, if your LP has the arpeggiator (OS v2+) you might try setting the arpeggiator to octaves = 0, pattern = order, and turning on the arp... then set up the volume and (especially) filter envelopes to give you maximum wobble. You can then shape the overall dynamic of a wobble line with manual filter sweep and/or adjusting the LFO Rate knob while the arp is running to change the wobble speed. Nice thing about this technique is you can also set the arpeggiator to follow MIDI clock, for beat-synchronised wobble action.

Cheers,

Amos

Fogflip

Post by Fogflip » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:49 pm

hey thanks for the hints guys getting their. Trying to implement your tip efficiently amos. thanks for the info so far.

Oh btw amos if you read this again the new Wheel house assembly worked perfect thanks!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Not really a programming thing but another helpful step in the process of getting really nice wobblers is using colorful compression (VST or hardware if you have it), and layering! Try recording and mixing a second track of the wobbly bass with slightly different waveform/cutoff/lfo/filter env settings and/or slightly detuning the second pass from the first. PWM on the second track would be worth trying out too.

Also, I suggest a triangle+saw configuration initially for optimal fat wobblies. don't be afraid to automate stuff! Hands-on tweaking is great but sometimes going in and drawing the changes can help get the desired alterations to the sound.
www.ctrlshft.com

Fogflip

Post by Fogflip » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:19 am

thanks ctrlshft i was messing around with your suggestions today and got some results as far as drawing i do it sometimes but usually im to lazy haha.

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 pm

all my wobbles come direct from my LP. Triangle wave on LFO rate. With destination set to filter. Make sure your mod wheel is up all the way. Have a listen to my dubs to give you an idea.

www.soundcloud.com/darkartois
www.myspace.com/darkartois