Help With Midi Set Up of L.P

Everything Phatty.
ChicagoHouseDj

Help With Midi Set Up of L.P

Post by ChicagoHouseDj » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:54 am

Hello Moog users ,
i am needing some help setting up the L.P using the midi ins and outs ,

I am using ableton and trying to use the L.P as a controller and to play back the actual sounds that are in the L.P ,
I went to my Bios and saw what midi port my computer is using ,

i am in the moogs midi set up and what confuses me is that it says ALL MIDI NOTES ARE OFF ?
I don't think this is right and it will not let me turn it to on ! what do i do

what is on in midi set up on moog is

poly 1 of 3
local control is on
midi merge is on

but why does it say all midi notes are off ?
is there anything else that i need to do to get the midi working correctly with the L.P
what am i missing ?

thank you for your time moog users

Michael
chicago house dj .com

Bryan T

Re: Help With Midi Set Up of L.P

Post by Bryan T » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:40 pm

ChicagoHouseDj wrote:i am in the moogs midi set up and what confuses me is that it says ALL MIDI NOTES ARE OFF ?
If the Moog starts making sound when it shouldn't when hooked up to another MIDI device, then you can engage the "All MIDI notes off" menu to stop the sound. It is sort of a reset control for the MIDI section.

When that menu comes up it doesn't actually mean that all MIDI notes are off.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 pm

to play back audio generated by the LP on a computer program requires you to hook up audio to your computer in addtion to midi, unless you are just using the computer as a midi sequencer then the audio comes out of the LP. If you want to use LP sounds in your computer you would need to sample them (quality dependent on what you're using)

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 pm

I wouldn't suggest hooking up both MIDI IN and OUT at the same time while using a DAW. You may get some negative results.

It's something to do with the DAW's MIDI feedback.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Subtronik wrote:I wouldn't suggest hooking up both MIDI IN and OUT at the same time while using a DAW. You may get some negative results.

It's something to do with the DAW's MIDI feedback.
I've never had issues with this set up, in fact this is how I always use the Phatty.

Turn local control off. Make sure you select what MIDI ports you are using in the Phatty's MIDI set up (USB or MIDI DIN). Personally, I'd set the MIDI in and out channel to the same #. Than make sure Abelton is sending and receiving the Phatty's data on the same channel.

For you to actually hear the Little Phatty in Abelton, you will need to plug the Phatty into an audio interface. The Phatty's USB does not send audio.

Hope this helps.