"Expanding" the Phatty

Everything Phatty.
Xenollop

"Expanding" the Phatty

Post by Xenollop » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:36 pm

On top of the other posts flying around that are similar, I thought I'd ask:
Can you significantly warp and garble the Little Phatty (tribute in my case) with CP-251? I've also been considering the FreqBox, Low Pass, or Phaser, but I have the Ring mod and Murf so the latter two might be a better direction. The sounds I love that the LP can make and are the sublte mod chirping (almost glitchy) and experimental noises, that have more application as sound effects or experimental sound design...so I'm trying to expand that aspect of the synth naturally without just running effects over it. I haven't messed much with control voltages, so I'm wondering if thats a big thing that could add to sound sculpting. I'll probably bite the bullet and invest in a desktop Voyager in the future as the LP has been so beneficial.
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

CTRLSHFT

Re: "Expanding" the Phatty

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:19 pm

Xenollop wrote:On top of the other posts flying around that are similar, I thought I'd ask:
Can you significantly warp and garble the Little Phatty (tribute in my case) with CP-251? I've also been considering the FreqBox, Low Pass, or Phaser, but I have the Ring mod and Murf so the latter two might be a better direction. The sounds I love that the LP can make and are the sublte mod chirping (almost glitchy) and experimental noises, that have more application as sound effects or experimental sound design...so I'm trying to expand that aspect of the synth naturally without just running effects over it. I haven't messed much with control voltages, so I'm wondering if thats a big thing that could add to sound sculpting. I'll probably bite the bullet and invest in a desktop Voyager in the future as the LP has been so beneficial.
CP-251 is more or less a warping, garbling box. CP+102+LP should let you glitch out all over the place! MuRF will definitely expand further on the topic, but most of the CP's benefits will come from units that have alot of CV I/Os (MuRF doesn't, really.)
www.ctrlshft.com

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:45 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:CP-251 is more or less a warping, garbling box.
I don't know . . . I think you can do a lot more warping/garbling by manipulating different (non-CV) parameters via MIDI. The CV inputs on the LP are fairly limited.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Bryan T wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:CP-251 is more or less a warping, garbling box.
I don't know . . . I think you can do a lot more warping/garbling by manipulating different (non-CV) parameters via MIDI. The CV inputs on the LP are fairly limited.
i was referring to the cv interactions between all three... yes the cv ins are very limited on the LP, but considerably less so on the 102.
www.ctrlshft.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:29 am

I have found the Phaser to be a great companion for the 251 and ring mod. I know, I know, I'll shut up now. :P
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Xenollop

Post by Xenollop » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am

Do any of you have sound samples of these combinations, I've been watching what's available on Youtube, but it's not been too helpfull...most of the time what I find ends up containing another 2 or 3000 dollars worth of equipment....or it's too damn musical.
Little Phatty Tribute #525, MF-102, MF-105, APC40, LPD8, Ibanez SR3000E Bass

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:48 am

Xenollop wrote:Do any of you have sound samples of these combinations, I've been watching what's available on Youtube, but it's not been too helpfull...most of the time what I find ends up containing another 2 or 3000 dollars worth of equipment....or it's too damn musical.
Have you seen my YouTube videos or heard my sound samples? I have a few of each here on the forum, under various threads.
Videos
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=15

Sounds
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=15
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 am

Definitely the CP-251 is the way to go... especially if you have multiple 'foogers. You're going to have a great time with it. :)

ldtregent

CP-251

Post by ldtregent » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:59 pm

The addition of the CP-251 to my Little Phatty Stage II has be great fun. All sorts of sonic insanity can be created as well as beefing up nicer tones.

For outboard fun even cheapo guitar stompboxes are great to use with the Phatty because there is so much signal for them to chew on.
LDT

http://regentisland.com/morningpages

http://pingthings.blogspot.com/2010/03/quadra-station-by-lorne-david-thomson.html

http://pingthings.blogspot.com/2009/10/download-swimming-alone-by-lorne-david.html

Voltor07

Re: CP-251

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:04 am

ldtregent wrote: For outboard fun even cheapo guitar stompboxes are great to use with the Phatty because there is so much signal for them to chew on.
Yes. I swear by Danelectro pedals. You can find them used for under $40 most times, and they add so much sonically, it's insane! :shock: