newbie. question for you genius'

Everything Phatty.
darkartois

Post by darkartois » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 pm

thanks Mark, put my fears to rest. Through reading through this forum Amos sounds like a top guy very dedicated to fixing problems. Can't wait to get it now =)

HB3

Post by HB3 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 pm

It's true, the Nord has a sort of Swedish cleanliness.

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:52 am

hi darkartois,

from what i heard on your my space site, you NEED to go analog.

i have LP over a year now, and it is a convincing analog synthesizer (despite comparison with an older analog equipment, which sound great by the way).

LP sounds beautiful and powerful; but there is one more thing about it:
i never thought one could actually FILL electronic equipment as a living thing.

I own also roland juno 60 and farfisa vip 400, and they sound very nice, but this little thing is addictive, there is something about it that is magical ..
my appeal to you: what ever you do, don't ever buy anything virtual, it is nothing like a real natural process. once i had a korg microkorg VA synth.. and it may sound close on recordings after heavy post processing, but post processing is killing the music.

keep it real !!

and god luck, nik

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:29 am

nikola wrote:hi darkartois,

from what i heard on your my space site, you NEED to go analog.

i have LP over a year now, and it is a convincing analog synthesizer (despite comparison with an older analog equipment, which sound great by the way).

LP sounds beautiful and powerful; but there is one more thing about it:
i never thought one could actually FILL electronic equipment as a living thing.

I own also roland juno 60 and farfisa vip 400, and they sound very nice, but this little thing is addictive, there is something about it that is magical ..
my appeal to you: what ever you do, don't ever buy anything virtual, it is nothing like a real natural process. once i had a korg microkorg VA synth.. and it may sound close on recordings after heavy post processing, but post processing is killing the music.

keep it real !!

and god luck, nik
I totally agree. IMO you should get the desired results straight from your synth when it comes to basslines. I process the hell out of everything to get it sounding phat, using Glitch and Izotope Trash waaaay too much. It's not how it should be and I am so excited that Wolfgang Gartner has produced so many best selling hits with just the LP and nothing else but EQ for his basslines. I have NEVER been so excited about something, it's like xmas as a 5 year old again. I can imagine myself reading it a bedtime story haha

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 am

you can achieve bass lines that will turn concrete to powder with the phatty, i bought mine in 2006, never had one problem with it, probably the nicest synth ive ever played, it IS addictive, the Little Taurus patch Amos created is incredible! you can tweak it endlessly for some very cool bass sounds. buy the phatty you wont be dissappointed. my 2 cents worth.

Cheers ;)

DL

LPTE #585

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:49 am

dlearyus wrote:you can achieve bass lines that will turn concrete to powder with the phatty, i bought mine in 2006, never had one problem with it, probably the nicest synth ive ever played, it IS addictive, the Little Taurus patch Amos created is incredible! you can tweak it endlessly for some very cool bass sounds. buy the phatty you wont be dissappointed. my 2 cents worth.

Cheers ;)

DL

LPTE #585
i use to record every bloody idea i had. and than I bought this little monster, and than I suddenly stopped thinking about my next songs or albums or anything like it : now i'm just playing and enjoying the sound of my instrument, exploring the possibilities ..

i ques i'm stacked in a real time :)

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:52 am

what is your genre Nik?

link to your myspace?

should all have links in your signature, interesting to hear productions when a LP is in your arsenal

nikola

Post by nikola » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 am

darkartois wrote:what is your genre Nik?
if you search in to my profile, you will find web address, and hear some samples of my music. or just click on www button ..

:) and no, at that point i didn't have had my moog. just a PC and acoustic guitar.. and a friend ..

HB3

Post by HB3 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Oh come on, I dare someone to come in here and defend the Nord....

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:58 pm

joebuck wrote:...I've never understood this school of thought. I think that it's just people getting crazy because of the badge that's on the synth. The LP and the Voyager don't really sound that much alike, ...
I finally got a chance to play around with an LP and Voyager at the same time and I was surprised at how different the sound was of the two instruments. The sound of the voyager was impressive, no doubt about it. LP was ok but the sounds that I got out of it didn't seem to measure up to the voyager.

Mostly I just used the presets. Are the presets of the voyager just better than the LP presets?

What accounts for the big difference in sound between the two instruments? I know the voyager has an extra osc. and a more complex filter, is that it? Or does it have more to do with the the design of the oscillators or how the digital control interacts with the analog circuits?

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Well I wish I could answer that question. Ive only SEEN an LP I 1 time.

First, the Oscs are different. Just like the Freqbox Osc is "a descendant of the Voyager Oscs" the Phatties are as well.

Other than that, Id be speaking out of the side of my mouth if I tried to answer that any further.

I think its really a matter of preference though cause when you OD the filter of the LP then it gets pretty nasty. I don't think id ever turn that off if I had the opportunity.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:12 pm

...presets are merely storage of (mostly) front-panel settings... the whole point of having those knobs in front of you is to use them as you play to modulate the sound... makes it so very human, etc...

I use the LP and my non-note playing hand is as busy as my note-playing hand with all the switches, buttons and controls...

BTW, I would absolutely recommend getting the EP expression pedal for it and plugging it into the cutoff frequency CV in... makes a world of difference, as that is usually the parameter that you want the most control of, most often.

Think of the LP as a fine guitar that you can coax many different sounds out of with both hands and feet. best, jgirv

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:21 pm

johnjay wrote:
joebuck wrote:...I've never understood this school of thought. I think that it's just people getting crazy because of the badge that's on the synth. The LP and the Voyager don't really sound that much alike, ...
I finally got a chance to play around with an LP and Voyager at the same time and I was surprised at how different the sound was of the two instruments. The sound of the voyager was impressive, no doubt about it. LP was ok but the sounds that I got out of it didn't seem to measure up to the voyager.

Mostly I just used the presets. Are the presets of the voyager just better than the LP presets?

What accounts for the big difference in sound between the two instruments? I know the voyager has an extra osc. and a more complex filter, is that it? Or does it have more to do with the the design of the oscillators or how the digital control interacts with the analog circuits?
I've owned both a Voyager RME, LP tribute and currently a SEII.

Gotta be honest, they don't sound all that different. Provided you discount the overdrive feature on the LP, and the third osc on the Voyager, the only really noticeable feature is stereo lowpass filtering w/ spacing options on the Voyager. Go mono and compare to the LP. There is obviously also modulation options that don't exist on the LP as well to consider, so naturally the patches sound different.

I can't comment on the physical analog structure of either unit, but just from ear I've always kind of felt they are quite close to each other in timbre when it comes to osc and filter.

::edit:: one more thing to consider: voyager has a noise source to mix w/ oscs. this opens up alot of different sonic opportunities as well.
www.ctrlshft.com

johnjay

Post by johnjay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:25 am

Gotta be honest, they don't sound all that different.
Well that's the answer I'm looking for since my chances of getting a little phatty are a lot better than getting a voyager. But even if price wasn't an issue, the size and weight of the LP just works better for me.

Are there any good youtube or other comparisions of the LP vs. Voyager? Or maybe even a good thread that compares the two? I'm not so interested in the feature comparison, I can do that with the manuals, but basic sound. How close can the two instruments get when you use features that both have? Could the average person close their eyes and know which instrument was playing?

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 pm

I have a Tribute and a Voyager. I have used them together performance wise, and they are quite close in sound. However, there are some simple patches on the LP I just can't duplicate accurately on the Voyager and vice versa.

This might seem like a travesty, but my LP has been sitting in its case for many months unused because the Voyager handles most of my lead duties. Before I got my MPK49 controller, the LP doubled as a lead instrument and controller. The MPK49 is much better at controlling, and there was redundancy of sound with the LP. I try and keep equipment to a minimum (which is still a lot) when performing.

As mentioned, one of the big differences between Voyager and Phatty is the dual filters and spacing control. When in highpass mode the spacing control can really make even more of a difference. I could be wrong, but I believe the highpass filter and spacing unit results in a bandpass filter. It's nice having the option of two separate outs or a mono out.

Another big difference is the CV input capabilities of the Voyager (not to mention the optional VX351). The effects input before the filter is another great feature of the Voyager.

The overdrive on the Phatty is really a great feature I wish the Voyager had. That alone really creates a sonic difference between the two.

If I didn't have to have so much hands on tweaking when performing, I might have chosen the Phatty for my lead instrument. It's smaller and lightweight. I do use the third osc. frequently, but I could probably work around that. The sound of the Phatty is close enough to the Voyager, and therefore I would still sound like me when performing.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney