newbie. question for you genius'

Everything Phatty.
darkartois

newbie. question for you genius'

Post by darkartois » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Finally got the email to verify my account on this fine forum after reading almost every thread.

I am about to purchase either the LP or a Nord Lead 3. I am a dance music producer and produce mostly electro house and dubstep. In reading through this forum I see most of you are real musicians that use the LP as an instrument. For the past year I have been using a lot of VST's for my basslines and struggle to find a good dependable one that can produce the sounds I want with no post production. With most VSTs where basslines are concerned I find I have to double up my channels in Ableton and run a lot of lo pass filters to get the heavy sound.

Recently I have been working in a friends studio and making my basslines with a Nord Lead 2, which is truly amazing, and requires no post production. It gives me the low end essential to the genre I work in with the modern mid-high thats makes my tracks stand out.

So I need a hardware synth of my own. I was pretty certain on the Lead 3 but after consulting a lot of friends they recommended the LP, none have used it but recommmend it just because it's a Moog.

If I could ask you experts to take just a few minutes and listen to the work I do @ www.myspace.com/darkartois (Chainsaw Calligraphy & License being the best examples), and advise me on whether the LP is the best option for me.

I've clicked on every google link there is for the LP and can't seem to find any video's of anyone creating dirty/filthy basslines specific to my genre's.

Thank you so much!

Chris

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:35 pm

I have an NL3. While the NL3 has a low-pass filter that is supposed to mimic the classic Moog filter, take a guess which sounds better, the real thing or the emulation? That said, the NL3 has a useful "stacking" and detuning function that will allow you to create some very big sounds. It's got 24 voices, so theoretically I guess you could "stack" all of those on a single note. That's another thing: the Moog=1 voice.

But saying that, the LP's basic sound is awesome. I was actually really turned off the NL3 for quite some time until I learned to program it better. If you're an experienced programmer you should be able to come up with some good stuff, but the NL3 presets are pretty terrible -- not only that, but kind of discouraging. The LP basic sounds are immediately good, and you can learn to use it very quickly.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 am

Lp i think would be nice.

also, to add to it, think of the shermann filter bank which will play a little diretier than the moog.

Start with the LP through the moog filter.. add the shermann 2nd.
Electronic Violinist here

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 am

I agree that for REALLY dirty bass, the LP should be run through a low pass filter first. I'd also like to add a delay to the list, a #1 Echo or the like. The EHX #1 Echo really colors the sound with shorter delay times being used...almost a torn speaker sound in the lower frequencies. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:23 am

so overall would you recommend the LP over the Lead 3 for the sound I want. Without the Shermann, that will come later :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:55 am

Let me put it this way...If you want the Moog sound, buy a Moog. Don't buy a synth that tries to sound like a Moog, because it won't sound like something it's not. Just like a virtual synth won't ever sound like a Moog, though they're getting better. It still isn't a Moog. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:21 am

I love my Little Phatty, but you really should try both before you make a decision.

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:47 am

I'm just hoping my local Guitar Center will give me the time and patience lol.

fidooda

Post by fidooda » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:13 am

darkartois wrote:I'm just hoping my local Guitar Center will give me the time and patience lol.
with a pair of headphones, a store should let you test these out as long as you need.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 am

If you need bass, then the LP will deliver. The Nord would be great for an all-purpose synth. They would make a good combiniation. If your primary needs now are bass, then Moog is the way to go.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

joebuck

Post by joebuck » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am

Voltor07 wrote:Let me put it this way...If you want the Moog sound, buy a Moog. Don't buy a synth that tries to sound like a Moog, because it won't sound like something it's not. Just like a virtual synth won't ever sound like a Moog, though they're getting better. It still isn't a Moog. :wink:
I've never understood this school of thought. I think that it's just people getting crazy because of the badge that's on the synth. The LP and the Voyager don't really sound that much alike, and as far as vintage Moogs go none of them sound the same. I'm pretty sure that the only vintage Moog synth to share the exact filter as the Minimoog is the Prodigy. To my ears almost all of the Moog filters sound pretty different from one another and I believe that has to do with the feedback circuit. That being said, the Prodigy sounds nothing like a Minimoog. I've owned almost al of the vintage Moogs and have played all of them extensively and have yet to find out what the Moog sound is. The oscillators in the Rogue don't sound like the oscillators in the Prodigy and they don't sound like the oscillators in a Source. Couple that with the difference in the filters and you have a wide variety of sounds, none of which I could classify as "Moog". Arps on the other hand, while having several different filter designs, pretty much sound like Arps. By Arps, I'm only referring to the 2500, 2600, Odyssey, Axxe, Avatar and Solus. The filters just in the Odyssey series alone sound wildly different but their nasaly oscillator design was unmistakable regardless of the filtering. Other than Phil Cirocco, I don't know any other synth makers that were chasing that oscillator sound. Some people (who must have never owned one) say that the Octave Cat was an Odyssey clone. If you've ever played one, they sound nothing alike they just kind of share the same layout. The sub oscillators (big square wave) and filter on the Cat actually sound much closer to a Minimoog than anything Arp ever built.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:21 am

darkartois wrote:I'm just hoping my local Guitar Center will give me the time and patience lol.

good luck...

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6431

:shock:

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 am

very similar topic from not too long ago:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6500

imo the big thing is how much flexibility you need.

The LP can do a huge range of sounds, but you will eventually hit a wall w/ 2 oscillators and a LPF. The flexible lfo and all the advanced settings stuff will keep you going for a while, as will the CV inputs, but there is a limit to particular types of sounds you're going to be able to coax out of it.

I've owned a NL3. Pretty machine, sort of vanilla filters. NL2 sounded much better.

My advice would be, provided you can't get anything else, to try and pick up a Virus TI if you're going to get a VA. Really nothing else comes close to their flexibility and sound, not to mention reliability and good UI. On the other hand, if you mainly just need to get some fat basses, the LP delivers powerful, flexible, and signature sounds. It's a religious experience getting one all to yourself for a few hours the first time you open the box. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies. It's purely bass I want it for, I use the Korg Legacy soft synth and its fantastic for leads and everything else I need, the MS-20 is a decent "analog" synth but there's just not enough bass on tap. Thanks to your help and others my mind is made up =) The LP is for me.

I've been posing the same questions to many over the last week and as I know Wolfgang Gartner has a LP I asked him his thoughts.

"I've done a lot of my basslines on the fatty yeah. Front To Back, Killer, Frenetica, the Funk Nasty remix, and loads of leads and top sounds too. it's waaay filthier than the Nord. You usually do have to process / EQ it to get it to fit in the mix though since the sound is SOOO big it can actually overpower everything else!"

Coming from possibly the biggest name in dance music ATM that seals it.

I have another few questions.

Any word on when the ReKon editor will be released? I know it was announced as early spring but it's not even listed on their website?! This is a tool I would definately make the most of.

After reading through this forum and seeing so many people with problems with their LP, would you rate as reliable as most other synths on the market, and is it a good idea to buy an extended warranty?

Thanks again fella's!

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:54 pm

After reading through this forum and seeing so many people with problems with their LP, would you rate as reliable as most other synths on the market, and is it a good idea to buy an extended warranty?
As far as people on the forum having trouble with their LP: many people come to forums because they have problems. There are almost 5000 Phatties out there and I would guess that the vast, vast majority of them are working fine. Some of the problems you have read here are from the first run Tributes and their noise issue. I've been on some Korg Electribe forums, and if one was to judge an Electribe's reliabilty from that, it would seem that they are fraught with issues. When I first got my Waldorf Q I was worried because of complaints on their forum, however the Q has been a great synth.

Surely you have read on this forum about the incredible service department Moog has. That is something you rarely see on a forum. Moog's service reputation alone should convince you of the quality of these instruments.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney