Used LP Tuning Issues

Everything Phatty.
MarkyGee

Used LP Tuning Issues

Post by MarkyGee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Last week I posted praise of the used LP I bought and now it's the other side of the coin.

My LP goes WILDLY out of tune...but only at our practice space. At home, I may tweak the fine tuning a tad for some presets...just slightly sharp or flat. At the practice space we're talking STEPS. On one setting I was playing an E and it was coming out G. Not good.

I let it warm up for a good 15 minutes at least. Auto tune is on. I've run the note calibration and osc calibration programs.

I'm wondering if it's one of two things.

Could it be a power issue? Could the electricity in our space be crap? Could the Moog not get enough juice to run accurately? I'm just throwing that out there as a theory.

The other thought is climate. My apartment is cold and dry. Then the LP sits in my cold car for the 15 minute drive to the practice space. Our practice space it HOT. I mean REALLY hot.

So even though I give it ample time to warm up, could the wild temperature fluctuation screw things up that bad?

Any theories/thoughts would be most welcome.

Still love my Moog, warts and all!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:27 pm

I think the wild temp fluctuations definitely have something to do with it. Just my unprofessional opinion. My LP drifted when it was too close to the window and HVAC vent in my room, so going from one extreme to the other like that probably confuses the heck out of it.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:33 pm

I am trying to figure this out too. I just bought a used LP Stage I two weeks ago and have had to recalibrate it a couple of times already. Amos suggested I update to the new OS so I did that but had some serious trouble with it today drifting big-time. So I'm recalibrating a 3rd time. I have the Moog sitting in front of a window so I moved it away from the window, isolated it to where it is the only thing plugged into the outlet and once I recalibrate I will completely reboot the system (bye-bye presets) and see if that works.

dave500

save your presets

Post by dave500 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Save your presets, I copied this from something Amos said sometime back.

Open MIDI-OX,
Go to the Options menu and select "MIDI Devices"
click on your correct MIDI input and output devices and press OK.
Go to the View menu and select "SysEx"
This should open the Sysex View and Scratchpad window.
Make sure your LP is on the patch you want to replace - sending a file will over-write the current patch without confirmation, so be careful!
Click on File in this new window and choose Send Sysex File.
select the sysex file you want to send, and hit OK.
The patch will be sent, and in a moment you will see the new patch name on your LP, saved in the currently-active slot.

Before you do this you might want to save the presets on your LP... this is also done from the "Sysex view and scratchpad" window.
In this window, go to the Sysex menu and select "Receive Manual Dump"
MIDI-OX is now waiting to receive sysex from the LP.
On the little phatty, go to the Master Menu, SysEx Menu, and select Send Cur Preset to send only the currently-selected preset,
or Send All Presets to send all 100 presets as one Bank file. Press Enter and you should see the data coming in to MIDI-OX.
Once the LP is done transferring data, click OK in MIDI-OX. The data is not saved yet! To save the data on your computer, go to the "Display Window"
pull-down menu and choose Save SysEx. Name and save your file and you are done.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Amos
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:07 pm

I wrote over the presets. i can reprogram them anyway. What's most important is to get this synth tuned and it simply refuses to do so. Some of the new patches on the 2.01 update are steps out of tune. I can't figure it out. Also the pitch wheel refuses to calibrate. Frustrating to say the least. No way will I be able to use this synth live as it is.

MarkyGee

Post by MarkyGee » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Yeah, mine isn't that inconsistent. It occurs in my band's practice space, so it's got to have something to do with the factors there.

Good luck with making yours behave!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:44 pm

I finally got some pitch stability after calibrating everything. Amos suggested calibrating the pitch wheel first but it wouldn't calibrate. So I did the note calibration first then PW and OSC2 then went back and calibrated the pitch wheel now all seems fine for the moment. Knock on wood. Y'know, the Moog people are pretty awesome and dedicated to helping folks out, even someone like me out of warranty.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:57 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I finally got some pitch stability after calibrating everything. Amos suggested calibrating the pitch wheel first but it wouldn't calibrate. So I did the note calibration first then PW and OSC2 then went back and calibrated the pitch wheel now all seems fine for the moment. Knock on wood. Y'know, the Moog people are pretty awesome and dedicated to helping folks out, even someone like me out of warranty.
Yes...They were most helpful in reseating a loose ribbon cable that wouldn't budge for me after my LP took a fall. Not only that, but Amos did most of the custom lights on my LP and signed the rear panel while it was in the shop. All for a reasonable cost, and with a virtual smile. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.