All you gigging Phatty users....

Everything Phatty.
Bensh

All you gigging Phatty users....

Post by Bensh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 pm

do you know of any efficient way to 'equal' the output level of different stored presets so the volume doesn't suddenly jump up by an enormous margin once the preset is changed?

Ideally I would like all the sounds I use on stage to come out at roughly the same perceived level. Have been giving my sound engineers too much trouble with this in the past :lol:

I've got a couple of gigs coming up and will use my phatty for sure.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Bensh

fidooda

Post by fidooda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm

i come from the bass guitar world where players can sometimes become a soundman worst nightmare :)

so my first suggestion would be to use a compressor/limiter

dave500

resave

Post by dave500 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:37 pm

you can resave the patches you use and change the volume level :shock:
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm

fidooda wrote:i come from the bass guitar world where players can sometimes become a soundman worst nightmare :)

Hey what do you mean by that? Im a bass player too. If you mknow slomething I don't, please enlighten me.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

fidooda

Post by fidooda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:22 pm

EricK wrote:
fidooda wrote:i come from the bass guitar world where players can sometimes become a soundman worst nightmare :)

Hey what do you mean by that? Im a bass player too. If you mknow slomething I don't, please enlighten me.

Eric
well...i may have exagerated just a little :)

1. the volume output of a bass i a lot more dynamic and stronger than a guitar. so if you don't make sure you play clean and even, soundmen have a tendency to bring you down in the mix.

2. switching from a ppassive to an active bass, in between songs, can bring the same problem Bensh was refering too in this thread. Very different output levels.

I'm just saying that a bass guitar is a lot tougher to mix well with other instruments live than one could be led to believe.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I thinkk he's just saying that guitar players have volume jumps with their various effects and tone settings, and in those cases guitar players (or sound guys) use a limiter or compresser, which cuts volume spikes.

But I like the other idea, mock up your set, and any patch that changes, add or subtract some volume an resave the sound. You change the volume of a patch with buttons OSC 1 level, and OSC 2 level. Also I have found tht overdrive will add some volume before it starts distorting, so increase those values and resave your sound so they are all about equall.

- remember, triangle wave are softer than other wavforms, for triangle sounds are simply lower in volume unless you recraft the sound. Don't forget to check out the performance feature that lets you set up like 4 sets of eight patches for easy, button press access during a gig. page 42 in the manual.

Bensh

Post by Bensh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:42 pm

ehrm, thanks all you on- and off-topic posters :D

The solution's gotta be an on-stage compressor I figure.. I've got a massive setup already consiodering we're performing as a two piece. Suppose I'll get myself a compressor pedal and hook it onto the LP.

MXR Dynacomp seems to be a good option from what I read? Any other suggestions?

fidooda

Post by fidooda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 pm

oh i didn't mean to hijack the thread....just wanted to answer Erick's question.

btw, i much prefer Wooperman's suggestion over buying a compressor.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:51 pm

my brother is a bass player and he put up a website where he reviews virtually every compresser/limiter pedal in existence... well worth checking out:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

Bensh

Post by Bensh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:14 pm

yeah, woopermans suggestion is awesome. Will also check out the compressor list in depth.

Many thanks everyone.

Enlightened yet again!

Cheers 8)

Joe

Re: All you gigging Phatty users....

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Bensh wrote:do you know of any efficient way to 'equal' the output level of different stored presets so the volume doesn't suddenly jump up by an enormous margin once the preset is changed?

Ideally I would like all the sounds I use on stage to come out at roughly the same perceived level. Have been giving my sound engineers too much trouble with this in the past :lol:

I've got a couple of gigs coming up and will use my phatty for sure.. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Bensh
Hi Bensh,
I have been using one of my EP-2 as a volume control on the LP. Some of the presets do have a big jump.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 am

Amos wrote:my brother is a bass player and he put up a website where he reviews virtually every compresser/limiter pedal in existence... well worth checking out:

http://www.ovnilab.com/
You and your brother both rock! I've gotten a lot of use from his site. Thank him for me.

Bryan

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:29 am

Limiter/compressor?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

MoogLittlePhattySII

Post by MoogLittlePhattySII » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 pm

Kind of OT... but does anyone use the Moog LP carrying bag for going to gigs? The LPII is too big to carry alone (especially when you have to carry a bunch of other things), so I want to get a protective carrying bag for it.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 pm

MoogLittlePhattySII wrote:Kind of OT... but does anyone use the Moog LP carrying bag for going to gigs? The LPII is too big to carry alone (especially when you have to carry a bunch of other things), so I want to get a protective carrying bag for it.
I'm hoping to use my Voyager soft case - I really need to try to fit it in there just in case I need to order an LP case instead! Anyone know if the LP will fit in the Voyager soft case?
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351