Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:49 am

jeepo wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:Little Phatty Stage III...features? A divide down poly mode? :wink:
They could even use digital envelopes, like those of the mp 201 for the VCAs of divide down poly mode. And when not in poly mode, they could be used as lfo's or midi to CV (polyphonic CVs anyone?) with CV out. There is always room for more jacks. ;)
THAT'S what I'm talking about...YES! They could even put the jacks on the aluminum back. I wonder if they could do that for less than $2k...$1800 would be reasonable for such features, yes?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:18 am

sounds cool... but then that'd mean i'd have to buy another one :D

Personally I'd rather save my money for a full fledged poly than a LP with poly divide down tech. But if they made some sub 1K$ LP rack modules, I would go out and buy 2 on launch providing they could be polychained together.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:24 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:sounds cool... but then that'd mean i'd have to buy another one :D

Personally I'd rather save my money for a full fledged poly than a LP with poly divide down tech. But if they made some sub 1K$ LP rack modules, I would go out and buy 2 on launch providing they could be polychained together.
I concur with this statement. Better yet, a three voice module for roughly the cost of a Voyager RME. I don't know if such a thing at such a price range would be possible, though. On a different note, literally, who would be interested in alternative tunings built into the software?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:36 am

+1 for alternate tunings.

I've found it to be extremely cool and funky to be able to do 1/4 tone stuff once in a while. Plus, it'd probably open up more markets overseas where that kind of music is more common.

I'd find a divide down mode a bit weird for the LP. I'd almost rather see them do that with a dedicated Opus III revisitation or something. God, the MF phaser and delay would sound KILLER on the Opus strings and stuff!!

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:46 pm

+ 1 Alternate tunings

It would be cool if the tunings could be user definable too.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Nillerbabs

Re: Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Post by Nillerbabs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 pm

In the light of the recent release of the Mopho Keyboard, Moog's putting a competitive alternative on the street has become even more urgent - hopefully in the form of a LP Stage III. Now that the Mopho is equipped with a brilliant aftertouch-sensitive keyboard, I very much hope Moog will do the same with the LP; to me it actually "deserves" this more than the Mopho since to me it's more of a "player's synth", in contrast to a "tweaker's synth".

A dedicated button for legato mode on/off would be much appreciated, as would an internal tuning reference. The suggestion of a step sequencer shown on page 5 in this thread would probably make the LP superior to the Mopho for some - well, at least for me - although I'm not sure how realistic this is. And finally - reintroduce the wooden ends. :mrgreen:

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Just White Noise would be nice.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 am

Nillerbabs wrote:In the light of the recent release of the Mopho Keyboard, Moog's putting a competitive alternative on the street has become even more urgent - hopefully in the form of a LP Stage III. Now that the Mopho is equipped with a brilliant aftertouch-sensitive keyboard, I very much hope Moog will do the same with the LP; to me it actually "deserves" this more than the Mopho since to me it's more of a "player's synth", in contrast to a "tweaker's synth".

A dedicated button for legato mode on/off would be much appreciated, as would an internal tuning reference. The suggestion of a step sequencer shown on page 5 in this thread would probably make the LP superior to the Mopho for some - well, at least for me - although I'm not sure how realistic this is. And finally - reintroduce the wooden ends. :mrgreen:
Hate to say this as I treasure my LP Tribute, but I played with a Mopho keyboard in Sam Ash in the city the other day and that thing is nice. Much of what you choose depends on what side of the fence you are on but if I were a typical consumer of gear (had a studio with NO analog gear whatsoever), I might be leaning towards the DSI. They've brought a bunch of controls to the front (albeit encoder based) and added a it features a sequencer in a very compact packge. Feels like quality as well. So yes... a repackaging and a few new features would definately expand the marketing appeal of an LP III.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Nillerbabs

Post by Nillerbabs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:09 pm

@ EMwhite: I belived the Mopho key sported high-quality knobs? Not that it soothens the lust... :mrgreen:

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Nillerbabs wrote:@ EMwhite: I belived the Mopho key sported high-quality knobs? Not that it soothens the lust... :mrgreen:
yeah, they are super nice pots not encoders.
www.ctrlshft.com

Jorg

Post by Jorg » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 am

Please add a trigger for the LFO cycle to the next update!!

Meaning an option in which the LFO doesnt run free but can be retriggered everytime a note is pressed.

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 pm

This suggestion comes from listening to John Cage's prepared piano pieces.

Could radically different modulation, oscilator, filter, and envelope settings be programed for individual keys? I suspect that in order to program each key on the keyboard would eat up a lot of memory...so perhaps this feature would need to accompany a memory upgrade.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be cool to have each key set up to make very different sounds. Some keys might be programed to be more percussive, other keys might be more melodic...But what's really on my mind is that this diversity of sounds accessed by the keys only--there's no need to touch the modulation wheel.

Oh...and perhaps modulation wheel settings could be changed with each touch of the key.

I would love a feature like this, because within a single preset, I could quickly get at a whole bunch of the wacky space mountain/haunted house sounds that I might only use once or twice in a single song.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 am

Nillerbabs wrote:In the light of the recent release of the Mopho Keyboard, Moog's putting a competitive alternative on the street has become even more urgent - hopefully in the form of a LP Stage III. Now that the Mopho is equipped with a brilliant aftertouch-sensitive keyboard, I very much hope Moog will do the same with the LP; to me it actually "deserves" this more than the Mopho since to me it's more of a "player's synth", in contrast to a "tweaker's synth".

Honestly I don't think Moog need to worry about the Mopho Keyboard. It's a nice enough board feature-wise, but for some reason the obvious DSI philosophy of making all their products look like toys isn't very appealing. At least not to me... Well, we'll see how well it sells (or not).

Here's my LPIII wishlist:

-CV-out implemented in the design
-Bring back the clear aluminum case (that thin aluminum line on top of the panel is an essential design feature which brings assosiations to the Model D - which can't be bad).
-Golden amber LED's (they are a tad too yellow now IMO)
-Sub Oscillators! (at least one... for those model D moments)
-Custom side panels in lots of different colors as an aftermarket option. Little Phatty skins ? :roll:

Nillerbabs

Post by Nillerbabs » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 am

I'm with the black rear. And you forgot aftertouch :mrgreen:

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:19 am

How about implementing modernized divide down capability based on new smd technology... Could be done a lot smaller than back in the day and would give paraphonic capability... There must be more to explore in this field ?
For reference check out Moog's own Opus 3 and MG-1 Concertmate and also Roland's RS-09 from the same era.