Tying the LFO to the Modulation Wheel

Everything Phatty.
bjlevine

Tying the LFO to the Modulation Wheel

Post by bjlevine » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi. I'm trying to help out our keyboardist, who is new to analogue synths. Is there some kind of tutorial on how to tie the LFO to the modulation wheel so that the wheel affects the strength of the modulation. My old keyboardist used to do this with his MiniMoog, but I cannot remember how.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:54 pm

That's a pretty standard way to use the mod wheel. The modulation section has four things you can adjust: LFO Rate, Source, Amount, and Destination. Amount affects how much of the Modulation is applied to the destination, but only when the mod wheel itself is turned up. If the mod wheel is at its minimum value, then there is no modulation applied to the destination.

For a basic vibrato, set Source to the triangle wave, Destination to pitch, LFO Rate to taste (around 10 o'clock is pretty good). Then, with the mod wheel all the way up, adjust the Amount for the maximum vibrato you'd like to hear. Now you can dynamically adjust the amount of the vibrato with the mod wheel while playing, from none to the maximum that you set.

Hope that helps,
Bryan

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Make sure in SOURCE you have chosen a wave form. In DESTENATION make sure you have selected ptich( or osc2 or filter). Check where the LFO rate and the amount knobs are set, then move the mod wheel up, if there still is no affect something maybe faulty.

bjlevine

Post by bjlevine » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks for the replies. This helps a lot.