strange behaviour

Everything Phatty.
CinningBao

strange behaviour

Post by CinningBao » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:25 pm

i had a scary evening a few nights ago - when i turned on my LP with recently installed OS2 the sound appeared to be extremely unsettled. even stranger though was when i moved the osc2 freq near to an LED trigger frequency, the nearest LED would also flicker to represent the frequency inconsistencies.

even on the basic calibration patch the filter frequency and most other variable settings where being randomly modulated.

environmentally, the room it exists in has usually one person and is most certainly under average room temperature and i had been away for a few days more than i usually am so the lack of body warmth may have affected it a little more? i couldn't figure it out; it still hadn't settled even after leaving it on for 6 hours!

today though, having been around for a few days it's back its good old raucious self, thankfully!

are there any obvious reasons for the temporary defects i experienced?

cheers :)

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:09 pm

are there any obvious reasons for the temporary defects i experienced?
Yes, use a grounded power outlet. :)
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

CinningBao

Post by CinningBao » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 am

a grounded power socket? i live in the UK - all the sockets are earthed unless you open up the plugs and disconnect it.

how could i have suffered this in the UK?

cheers :)

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:14 am

Usually things like this are power-related so it's the first thing to check. Try to use another power socket instead of the one you're using now, just to be sure.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:12 pm

sometimes the earth wire inside the power lead can fail or become intermittent... changing to a new standard IEC-type power cable could help in this case. They symptom you describe sounds exactly like what a Little Phatty might do if its earth connection was less than 100%.