LP Comments

Everything Phatty.
earsmack

LP Comments

Post by earsmack » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:42 am

As I've been playing with my new LP Stage II I've noticed a few things that I thought I would toss in the hat as suggestions for future updates, etc. I'm a Voyager owner but now a proud LP owner as well :-)

First let me say that I am very impressed with the instrument overall. In comparing it to my Voyager I find it a nice compromise between price and features. I think the folks at Moog have done a really great job producing this thing. The build quality is excellent as well.

- Although it's been discussed before - I actually find aftertouch to be something that I wish the LP had. Not sure if the keyboard supports it or not (I'm guessing not) but a field upgrade like the Voyager had for this would be cool but obviously not a deal-breaker.

- I would like to have the arpeggiator default to internal clock in the case where it is set to use MIDI clock but no MIDI clock signal is present. This way, you can still play with the arp without having your master clock turned on. I suppose this would also apply to LFO sync.

- Regarding setting the tempo of the arp - I think there is a way but I just haven't grokked it yet - but it would be nice to be able to quickly set the arp to a specific tempo manually as opposed to using tap. I think I did this once but just forget how. It'll come back to me I suppose :-)

- I like the modulation matrix but my only complaint is that it's hard-wired to the mod wheel and there seems to be no way to disable this. There are times when I would like the modulation to be active as soon as the sound is triggered and not something I need to use the mod wheel to activate. What would work is a way to set the minimum modulation amount to something other than 0 even though the mod wheel is physically at zero, per preset. For example, if I have the mod matrix to modulate the filter, I could set it so even though the mod wheel is at the physical 0 location it SOUNDS like it's really at xx% modulation. Then, as I move the mod wheel towards the maximum position it scales accordingly to 100%. Make sense?

- I think the output on/off button should be able to be globally assigned to a more useful function - like maybe EG release on/off. The reason I say this is because I rarely have a use for turning the output OFF. My guess is most people don't use it. Another option might be to be able to assign the EG encoder to tweak resonance when the filter encoder is set to tweak cutoff freq. This would address those folks that like to tweak both of those items at the same time assuming it's physically possibly in the instrument.

Excellent synth - I am very pleased with this purchase and am looking forward to really getting the most from it. Thanks Moog!
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:48 am

PS: A contrast adjustment, as noted in another thread, would also be nice. My screen seems a little slow to update. It might improve when it warms up a bit but it is still not the way it SHOULD be IMO.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:54 pm

What's up with all these LCD complaints? The Stage II must be using LCD's from old calculators or something. :lol: Great ideas, otherwise. Also, regarding the audio out off switch, it DOES come in handy if you're running the arp and want to suddenly stop the notes without losing the arp settings and notes being played. Then you can leave a minute or three of silence for other instruments, and turn the sound back on. Of course, give me a button, and I'll find a use for it. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Voltor07 wrote:What's up with all these LCD complaints? The Stage II must be using LCD's from old calculators or something. :lol:
Would be awesome if they had those solar chargers next to it, haha!
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:01 pm

The audio output button could come in handy if you want to pre-listen to a patch but don't want to mess with the volume.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:48 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Also, regarding the audio out off switch, it DOES come in handy if you're running the arp and want to suddenly stop the notes without losing the arp settings and notes being played.
Good point. I could see that.

Assar

Re: LP Comments

Post by Assar » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:37 pm

zbq wrote: - I think the output on/off button should be able to be globally assigned to a more useful function - like maybe EG release on/off.
How about making it possible to assign any on/off-function to the button?
:D
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Voltor07

Re: LP Comments

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:57 am

Assar wrote: How about making it possible to assign any on/off-function to the button?
:D
That would be cool! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.