Should I buy an LP?

Everything Phatty.
roboctopus

Should I buy an LP?

Post by roboctopus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:40 am

Hey gang. I have a dilemma. My Prodigy stopped working mysteriously (Like, it was fine and one day I turned it on and no sound comes out :( ). I have had to get it repaired twice in the last four years, and though I love it, repairs are a pain (and I just moved to a new city, leaving my trusted synth tech hundreds of miles behind.)

I'm contemplating just selling my broken Prodigy and picking up a Phatty instead. And that CP-251 deal is mighty tempting (I have two Foogers that would love to meet it...)

So LP users, would you ditch a Prodigy for an LP? I've demoed one, and the sound is great, but the lack of knobs weirds me out a little, like I don't have as much of a connection with the synth. Do you get used to using just the 4 knobs? Or will I be longing for knobs and chagrined by patch memory?

Any thoughts? To modernize, or not to modernize...
What does this button do?

LP Stage II, Dead Prodigy, Juno 60, MF-101 & 102, CP-251, guitars, bass, banjo, and the almighty glockenspiel/melodica combo

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 pm

I would go for it. Maybe keep the Prodigy and fix it later, you can never have to many analog synths laying around :) . You could of course use what you get for a dead Prodigy help fund the LP purchase though, but a lot depends on what the repair cost will be. It may be worth it if not too high, was the repair problem the same the last two times ?

For me I had no problem getting used to the four knobs, in no time you’ll be flying around the panel press the desired button and twisting the knob.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah, I think that if you are looking at a Phatty then youll be happy with it. I don't own one but the layout is very intutiatuive. Just push a button for filter cutoff, push the button again for resonance. Its pretty fast, though not as fun as having a million knobs gleaming in the light.

I agree, keep your prodigy. Perhaps email kevin lightner on here and see what he would charge to service it. I pretty much guarentee that when you get it back it won't break again. Kevin is simply the most trusted in the biz.

I think that if you can hang onto as much Vintage stuff as you can you won't have any regrets later.

Also, start a new thread about your issues and see what people say about it. It could very well be that your tech didn't know what he was doing.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:55 pm

It could be something as simple as a cable that went bad over night, odd i know but it happens :). Make sure the cable is inserted all the way on the Prodigy, mixer and or amp. It is still plugged in right ? :):)

Check the amp and or mixer are they working with other gear. Try a pair of head phones to see if you have audio. It could very well be a simple fix, but for sure grab an LP while you can get a free CP 251 :). With it and the MoogerFooger you have you're in for a lot of fun.

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 pm

EricK wrote:
I agree, keep your prodigy. Perhaps email kevin lightner on here and see what he would charge to service it.

Also, start a new thread about your issues and see what people say about it. It could very well be that your tech didn't know what he was doing.

Eric
I think the only Moog Kevin services are Minis, but I could be wrong. But for clarification, a tech didn't mess it up. I had the Prodigy serviced in June to fix a problem with oscillator one not scaling properly, and to fix a problem with the attack (it had slow [~1 sec] attack no matter what). In August I moved from Austin TX to Alabama. The prodigy worked fine, solid tuning, no problems, until two weeks ago, when I turned it on and no sound came out. The light powers up, but nothing happens. So now I'm faced with the prospect of finding a synth tech in a town that seems to have zero music stores that sell synths.

So here I am, mono-synthless in Alabama. I would probably need to sell the Prodigy, though. And thus the dilemma.

LP Stage II, Dead Prodigy, Juno 60, MF-101 & 102, CP-251, guitars, bass, banjo, and the almighty glockenspiel/melodica combo

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Brian G wrote:It could be something as simple as a cable that went bad over night, odd i know but it happens :). Make sure the cable is inserted all the way on the Prodigy, mixer and or amp. It is still plugged in right ? :):)

Check the amp and or mixer are they working with other gear. Try a pair of head phones to see if you have audio.
Yeah, I have tried all of that, several times over. And I know zero about electronics, so I'm hesitant to take it apart.

dave500

Alabama

Post by dave500 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:00 pm

So you moved to Alabama what a drag.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

roboctopus

Re: Alabama

Post by roboctopus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:02 pm

dave500 wrote:So you moved to Alabama what a drag.
Ha ha, I see a fellow Alabaman. Yeah, my wife got a good job in Huntsville. It's not bad, but it's a big change from Austin, TX. And the music stores have banjos where I think the synths should be...

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 pm

In my uneducated opinion, it makes sense to get the LP. You'll get a synth with a warranty and have the CP-251 (what a sweet deal, no?).

Consider buying the LP from a vendor on eBay, as you can take advantage of the Microsoft Live Cashback deal and get $200 back on the purchase.

Bryan

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:41 pm

Novamusik also has some wonderfully exceptional deals on Moog gear.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:21 pm

EricK wrote:Novamusik also has some wonderfully exceptional deals on Moog gear.
Yeah, that's where I got my LP (through their ebay store). Open box buy, plus the Microsoft cashback deal made it a no-brainer. Fast shipping, too.

Bryan

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Yeah, I have tried all of that, several times over. And I know zero about electronics, so I'm hesitant to take it apart.[/quote]

:) Unless you really know what you're doing and are familar with the inside of the Prodigy you can do more damage just messing around. :)

:) Did you have a big screw driver than 10 pound hammer at it yet ? :)

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Well, bigcitymusic has a Stage 1 on their ebay store for $1,119. I have an ebay coupon that would get it to $1,019. The stage 1 can be updated to get all the functions of the stage 2, correct?

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Brian G wrote:
:) Did you have a big screw driver than 10 pound hammer at it yet ? :)
Well, I tried kicking it a couple of times, but no dice. :wink:

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:53 pm

roboctopus wrote:Well, bigcitymusic has a Stage 1 on their ebay store for $1,119. I have an ebay coupon that would get it to $1,019. The stage 1 can be updated to get all the functions of the stage 2, correct?
Not sure. Don't forget to do the Microsoft Cashback deal, too. You could get that synth for $819.

FWIW, my LP2 (open box, but new with warranty) was $1100 from Novamusik. After the cashback deal I got it for $900. No upgrades needed.

I'm not sure if you get the CP-251 with the Stage 1 - you should clarify that before buying.

Bryan