Clicky Moog Filter (samples inside)

Everything Phatty.
subtle

Clicky Moog Filter (samples inside)

Post by subtle » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is something wrong with my Moog that makes those clicky noises ?

I tried using the Virus B filter on the same sound and i didnt get a single click.

Here are samples:

MOOG FILTER
www.subtleinc.net/moogfilter.mp3
www.subtleinc.net/moogfilter2.mp3
www.subtleinc.net/moogfilter3.mp3

VIRUS B FILTER

www.subtleinc.net/virusfilter.mp3
www.subtleinc.net/virusfilter2.mp3
www.subtleinc.net/virusfilter3.mp3

Embryo

Post by Embryo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:05 am

Well, mine also does it, and i think it's perfectly normal.
Your VCF attack must be at 0, and your decay fairly low, it's the filter envelope that's clicking.
If you don't like it you can either raise your VCF decay, or raise your VCA attack, and I guess it would solve the problem.

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:24 am

I agree with Embryo. It's just the filter attack clicking away. My other analog synth does this too (a Roland SH-09). It think it's fairly normal. Some VAs actually have a function to add the click to bass patches to get that 'authentic analog feel' - Zebra 2 for instance (and the Virus come to think of it, although they call it 'punch' or something.

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:33 pm

I paid good money for that click! :shock:

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 am

Sounds like a zero-point transient on the waveform.
Ick :?
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Embryo wrote:If you don't like it you can either raise your VCF decay, or raise your VCA attack, and I guess it would solve the problem.
This. The beauty of really fast analogue envelopes is that you can choose to have this click, or not, depending on your settings. If you carefully increase the volume envelope attack or filter invelope decay (perhaps using Precision Mode on the LP for precise adjustments), at slightly longer time settings you will then reach the minimum possible envelope times on these clickless VA synths.

The LP (and SH-09 and other analogues) simply have faster minimum envelope times than most any VA. A sound level change that approaches instantaneous will increasingly sound like a click or pop.