Suggestion for the next OS update

Everything Phatty.
robles

Post by robles » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:56 am

Something I think is crucial for taking full advantage of the external input:

A way to turn off all midi CC transmission, but allow transmission of note on gate and pitch wheel. This way you could use a second synth as an external source played into the LP but still make adjustments on the LP without any CC transmission affecting the external synth.

The modes I'd like to see are:

Midi Transmission:

1. All On
2. Keyboard, Pitch Wheel and Modulation
3. Keyboard, Pitch Wheel

rachel

Post by rachel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 am

Can someone please break all these suggestions down into a single list?

I am sure Moog is listening, but it may go further to have a proper task list of
recommended changes, rather than trolling through a bunch of posts.

I don't want my LCD case sensitive text changes to disappear in favour of something
that is harder to implement, so I am being selfish. I would take the LCD thing before
any other firmware update, firstly because it is just plain asthetic commonsense
and secondly because it is so simple and pervasive to implement, it must be an oversight.

rachel

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 pm

hello my first post here,only had my lp a few weeks,and not much time on my hands,
these aren't new suggestions i know but my first suggestion would be
a way of a/b the preset you are writing over,i think this would be invaluable as its hard to remember what the preset sounds like that you are replacing,also a few more patch/preset spaces (28)wouldn't go amiss either :wink:

midi sync to the lfo would be very nice too.

a arp wouldn't be a bad idea,if its possible.

more overload would be nice to dirty it up some more.

also a vsti version/skin for it would be very useful in a studio enviroment,
i know about the editor you can buy(which i missed out on the free offer by 11 days :(
but a easy way to control it from a sequencer and also from another keyboard would be very helpful
(ie midi learn from the gui,to a controller keyboard with more knobs on,thus being able to physicaly control cutoff and resonance at the same time for example).
also if a vst/skin was made,it would make it easy to store as many presets as you want and also you could have a sequencer display for the arp.

just my 2 cents.

it would be interesting to know what this synth is capable of pushed to extremes as i gather it uses some form of cpu???

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:14 pm

rachel wrote:Can someone please break all these suggestions down into a single list?
Here's the list so far. I have omitted suggestions which are not possible due to hardware constraints, and it is possible (I haven't checked this thoroughly) that not all of these suggestions can be implemented on the Tribute Edition as easily as the Stage. We will definitely try to be as inclusive as we can be, and I will keep you informed about what is possible. This is only a list of requested features - I can't make any promises about what will be implemented.
The Moog community wrote: LP firmware requests:

LFO sync options [MIDI, reset on gate]

Arpeggiator

Tap Tempo for LFO / Arpeggiator

Lowercase Fonts

Keyboard Splits

Fine Tune in Hz instead of 0-4096 (if possible?)

Step Sequencer (unlike arpeggiator, can save sequence of notes [per patch?] + each step could have parameter changes)

osc.1 pitch [only] as a mod destination? would allow simple FM

full-res NRPN parameter rx/tx as an option instead of CCs

more preset memory

ability to modulate the WAVE of only osc 1 or osc2

volume velocity sensitivity

"keyed" portamento (only glide when overlapping notes are played)

mod wheel amount saved with preset

ability to compare sound of presets while choosing preset to save over

Midi control of Performance Sets

more Local Control modes (specifically Midi Send modes): All On, Keyboard, Pitch and Mod wheels only, Keyboard and Pitch wheel only (?).

a VST interface for the LP
It's a long list and not everything will make it into the next version, but I am very glad to have this information as it means that the next OS can really grow to match what our users want to do with it. :)

a quick note about Overload as a couple folks have requested more of it - :twisted: Overload is a hardware feature - it's part of the analog filter circuit, and its maximum amount is set in hardware. It can already push the filter into nasty self-oscillating moans at maximum - if you need more dirt than that, it's time for some outboard FX.

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:02 pm

Thanks amos its nice to know someone is listening to there customers wants and needs. :wink:
if theres anything i can do to help..
and please do keep us informed !!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:53 pm

tangent uk wrote: if theres anything i can do to help..
Actually, there is! This goes for others out there, as well...

Push the LP to the limits of your imagination - do crazy things with it -
and keep me informed about how it does for you, and any ways in which it could do what it does, better. That would be very helpful indeed!

Also tangent and other UK peeps... if you know any junglists or dark drum'n'bass heads out there, have 'em round to check out the dirty overloaded bass vibes the LP can put out... I really want to hear the LP on some storming tracks! :twisted:

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:07 pm

ive had a thought would it be possible to use software lfo,s with the fatty?
that way you could have a few more lfos to control pitch and filter,for example.
is that possible?
just a idea.
ill see what i can do about some dnb :twisted:
check out the track join da dots for some of my dnb(no phattys though :x
www.myspace.com/tangentuk
:oops:

edit-pop up gone!
Last edited by tangent uk on Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:47 pm

Yes it is possible to use software LFOs... there are a few limitations
namely how much can the processor do at once without glitches happening
and how do you control multiple LFOs (or even more sources/destinations than now) in a non-confusing way, given that the physical interface can't be changed from what it is now... no adding any new knobs or LEDs, so you have to be creative with what's there. I'm certainly open to clever ideas on the subject. :)

Just checked out join da dots; top stuff!

That pop-up looks like it's from some university server in the UK;
probably you put some image or gadget in your profile that is hosted there, and it won't allow anonymous logins when myspace asks for the file upon loading. I recommend copy/paste the URL from the pop-up and then edit your profile and do a search for that bit of text to find the offending link. I doubt mySpace will help you... :wink:

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:49 pm

I suppose my idea revolves around the fact of having some form of gui integrated within a sequencer/standalone app sync'd to midi.

In that way you can utilize midi sync to the lfo's etc easily,and if you dont need midi sync you can do it by ear or by on screen led..
also i see a gui as a way to push what the phatty is capable of and get over the physical limitations of the hardware.

As you can probabley tell im used to doing everything within a sequencer and imho this should be considered because,i may be wrong but, not everyone who owns a phatty is going to be a gigging musician,and to have the possibility of having more options cant be a bad thing.
if this means pushing it to its limits then why not?
:P
im going to see how this works with the l.p in the mean time
http://www.mucoder.net/hypercyclic/

edit; cheers for the advice on the pop up,its gone now,thanks.

rachel

Post by rachel » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:04 pm

The limit is the capacity of the ROM in the Phatty to hold and run new code and settings.

I do not know how big the ROM in the Phatty is. One would hope it is sitting in a socket
rather than surface mounted!

If the ROM is socketed, I don' see any reason for Moog not to provide a new ROM at some
stage in the future, that was big enough to hold a bunch of stuff that cannot be done
in hardware. I would suspect that this would have to first have enough people interested
in purchasing it to make it cost effective. Not everyone with an LP is going to want
every single feature and may well never bother upgrading, so Moog isn't going to take
a loss and just cut a new ROM for $50 or something.

I hope down the line, like the Roland Europa, someone will create a compatible ROM
if Moog allows it or at least concedes it some how and a little niche market in enhancements
is created. At this stage, we don't even know how many LP's have been produced
(apart from TE), how many people would want an upgrade and if Moog would even consider such
a thing, or let someone else do it.

Let's just hope the list of updates made already gets enough into the TE and SE
and be thankful for it :wink:

rachel

tangent uk

Post by tangent uk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:08 am

I agree with everything you have said rachel,a new rom would be a good idea, if needs be?,it may not need it because no one has tried yet!

In the case of needing a new one,i seem to remember reading on here somewhere,moog sourced there hardware from foreign countries to keep costs down,i cant imagine them using a unusual type rom,although i am not by any means a expert.

But as you say there maybe no call for it or it may not be replaceable.

as i stated before,my humble opinion comes from the fact im from the daw generation and i like a lot of people(i think) are used to working within a sequencer and all the control that a software gui can bring(such as automatic midi learn/sync,visual displays for step sequencer?arp?tap tempo?extra lfo(s)?Keyboard Splits?mod matrix?),and i see this as a way of bringing the use of the moog a little more up to date :? (absolutely no harm meant by that)r.i.p bob

im looking forward to the updates anyway and am thankful for whatever im given as long as its a way to a/b sounds and midi sync :wink:

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:20 am

Amos wrote:
rachel wrote:Can someone please break all these suggestions down into a single list?
Here's the list so far. I have omitted suggestions which are not possible due to hardware constraints, and it is possible (I haven't checked this thoroughly) that not all of these suggestions can be implemented on the Tribute Edition as easily as the Stage. We will definitely try to be as inclusive as we can be, and I will keep you informed about what is possible. This is only a list of requested features - I can't make any promises about what will be implemented.

Arpeggiator

Lowercase Fonts

Keyboard Splits

Step Sequencer (unlike arpeggiator, can save sequence of notes [per patch?] + each step could have parameter changes)

more preset memory

more Local Control modes (specifically Midi Send modes): All On, Keyboard, Pitch and Mod wheels only, Keyboard and Pitch wheel only (?).

It's a long list and not everything will make it into the next version, but I am very glad to have this information as it means that the next OS can really grow to match what our users want to do with it. :)

a quick note about Overload as a couple folks have requested more of it - :twisted: Overload is a hardware feature - it's part of the analog filter circuit, and its maximum amount is set in hardware. It can already push the filter into nasty self-oscillating moans at maximum - if you need more dirt than that, it's time for some outboard FX.
Amos, may be Santa gives us a new update???

simbadadred

Post by simbadadred » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 pm

I would like to be able to ADJUST THE LCD CONTRAST! I dont want my screen and or lights to burn out over time and have to send the whole dang-on keyboard back in for service! PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE! IT IS ON EVERY OVER SYNTH I OWN EXCEPT THIS ONE!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi all,

simba: LCD contrast is set in hardware on the LP; it is not addressable by the software. I asked about your concern and the engineers assured me that the default LCD contrast will not burn out or harm the screen in any way.

sergio: I think the new OS will not be ready in time for Santa to distribute it ;) but there might be an update in time for the NAMM show.

robles

Post by robles » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Amos wrote:

Arpeggiator

Lowercase Fonts

Keyboard Splits

more preset memory

I did want to add this in to your list as I know it can be implemented. Moving the EG Matrix On/Off from System Utilities to the Advanced Preset menu.