Suggestion for the next OS update

Everything Phatty.
T7

Post by T7 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:14 pm

haiku-ish wrote:i'll never buy a Clavia again
they left us with a nord modular G1 OSX buggy software and no support.

Moog rock's, they take care of their customers.
This is why I had no problem selling my Nord G2 to fund a Little Phatty. That and I wanted a synth that can sound warm and fat unlike the G2.

Tangsonghe

Post by Tangsonghe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Just holding a button is easier to remember though :)
I've got a memory like a sieve!

kungfugeek

Post by kungfugeek » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 pm

Not sure if this has been posted, but id really love if I could assign my midi out channel on a per patch basis, with options of "off through 16" I'd like to use my LP as a synth someitmes and a contoller other times. Is it also possible to add MIDI CC (channel and CC) to the rest of the buttons, also assignable by patch?

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:53 am

kungfugeek wrote:Is it also possible to add MIDI CC (channel and CC) to the rest of the buttons, also assignable by patch?
"Is it also possible to add MIDI CC (channel and CC) to the rest of the buttons, also assignable by patch?"

Well this would actually be too complicated to implement as you suggested, as it would break compatibility between the LP and Voyager and mean that if you recorded MIDI out from the Phatty and played it back that it would not be 1:1, some things might sound different on playback. However you can do some of what you suggest already, using "pot mapping" which is stored per patch on the LP (under Advanced Preset). This lets you assign any CC you want to each of the four RAC knobs, so you have four freely-assignable controllers per patch in addition to the fixed CC#s which the normal panel controls put out.

Cheers,

Amos

kungfugeek

Post by kungfugeek » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:58 am

which part is not possible, the midi out channel per patch or adding CC to other buttons? The former is the big one for me.

prospect

Post by prospect » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:21 pm

This is my first post and a new proud of owner of LP # 2328.

Here are my suggestions for an OS update.

1. The rumored arpeggiator with BPM readout. In other words not just a "rate" knob to control tempo.

2. I want to be able to tempo sync the LFO's (bpm). This would make it easier and more accurate to do than doing it by ear.

3. I would love to be able to use the audio input to process incoming audio INDEPENDENT of the oscillators. Currently if you have audio going into the LP you have to press a key to hear it. I'd love to see an option where you can process to the filter without having to press the keys.

4. Built in tuner.

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:02 pm

prospect,

Unless I misunderstand what you mean by "tuner", the LP can already self-tune. It is fully automatic and painless.

I agree about using the external input without having to press keys... there is also the suggestion in the manual to stick a non-connected instrument cable in the gate, though that seems it would interfere with the way you would play the synth at the same time. That may be hardware related?

Anyhow, I just want the arp! :)

prospect

Post by prospect » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:06 pm

llamastorm wrote:prospect,

Unless I misunderstand what you mean by "tuner", the LP can already self-tune. It is fully automatic and painless.

Anyhow, I just want the arp! :)
I don't really understand the tuner capability in the LP.

It seems that the mechanism in the software is a "lock" once you've tuned it correctly. In other words it doesn't actually tune it for you, it simply locks in the tuning that you dial in. Any light you can shed on how this works would be greatly appreciated.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:47 pm

As far as I know, there are two different kinds of "tuning" involved in a synth like this. There is the master tuning, which sets the overall pitch of the entire keyboard (shifts everything up and down as a block). That is controlled with the "tuning" knob on the front panel, and you can also get the same effect with the Pitch CV input. Then there's calibration, which individually adjusts each note to be in tune with 12-tone equal temperament. That's a routine which the LP can run on itself, and it takes about an hour to complete. You don't need to calibrate very often, if at all, because the LP will remember the correct values and keep itself on-track.

The need for an external tuner comes about because even if your LP is properly calibrated, the overall pitch might be high or low relative to A440, or whatever other absolute pitch standard you want. So you need to tweak the tuning knob on the panel either by ear, or using a tuner, to get the overall pitch right. As far as I know, there's no way to "lock" that value in, although I could be wrong about this. Also, there's not way to "select a tuning" in the sense of calibrating to anything other than 12-tone equal temperament.

P.S. One thing I'd love (to tie this in to the new OS suggestions theme) would be the ability to set up user tuning tables, so the LP could calibrate to tunings other than 12-TET. It would necessarily be a slow process, but might be really attractive to studio explorer types.

GG

Post by GG » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 am

Hiya!
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but i' love to be able to start the LFO when i hit a key (don't know the name of this function).
That's about it actually... :D
Maybe there's slight chance for it to get introduced in the next update? ;)

Greetz
- GG se Jerman

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi GG :)

The LFO in the Phatty is software-driven, which means that "LFO reset on trigger" is a possibility. This would be very nice, I agree. I'll add it to our suggestion list. Thanks for asking!

-Amos

GG

Post by GG » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:01 am

Thanks Amos!

Embryo

Post by Embryo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:11 am

I don't know if it's possible, nor if it's already been suggested but a drift setting for the oscillators would be awesome.
Oh, and the LFO reset on trigger would be very cool too.

I'm amazed by the way Moog's working with the customer. It's gold nowadays.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.