Little Phatty Stage 2 tunning problems

Everything Phatty.
klavifon

Little Phatty Stage 2 tunning problems

Post by klavifon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 am

Hello everybody,

this is (I think) my first post here on this forum. So let me explain my problem:

My LP is out of tune. To be exact, OSC2 is just a little flat and it's very anoying. I notice that when I want to detune OSC2 a perfect fifth up. It's always a little flat (not a perfect fifth, you can hear the pulsation). I did all 3 calibrations many times (in fact I did one yesterday). And it was perfect yesterday. Today the problem is there again! I always let my LP to warm for an hour before I do the calibrations.

The thing is that my unit just came from the service. A technician in my country (Slovenia) did the hardware calibration with the approval of Moog experts. But apparently they didn't solve the problem. What is the matter with my LP??? Please help!

klavifon

Re: Little Phatty Stage 2 tunning problems

Post by klavifon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:06 pm

No ideas? Anybody...?

Ok. I have another question. This is more general tunning subject:
suppose I have both oscillators set on exactly the same settings (like in Calibration patch). Osc1 is all the way up in the mixer. Then I add Osc2 in unison. How frequent is the pulsation between both oscillators? Like 2x in a second? 3x? I'm a newby and I think this pulsating should be way less than 2x in a second, because all my presets are out of tune (all but ones with synced osc).

Sorry for my strange writing, but I'm really confused because I don't know how should a propper Phatty sound like.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:38 am

Hey ! :)

So first, if the oscillator sync is enabled, you will never notice any tuning problem, so turn it off.

If oscillators 1 and 2 are set to the very same value (with the precision mode for example) and have just been calibrated, well… it’s analogue baby ;) I would not be surprised to still hear frequency beats.
About their frequency: the beat frequency equals the difference of frequency between oscillator 1 and oscillator 2.

I won’t be that guy that knows how quick/slow should be the beating of a “normal” Phatty.
I’ll be that guy who tells you that it’s analogue, it lives, it moves, and provided it sounds good to you, don’t bother.
If you want the perfect match, set the frequencies so that the beat is the slowest possible, then enable sync.

About your problem of perfect fifth (first post), I have no idea: I would have told you to calibrate your warmed synth, 2-3 times if needed. But as you’ve done that already, I don’t know. Hope you’ll solve that :)

digilog

Post by digilog » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:27 am

I have tuning problems with osc 2, and mine happened after I got it back from service as well (I had the CV out kit installed at the factory.)

This isn't subtle analog beating, it's severe enough to make any patch with unsynced oscs unplayable in a band context.