Sub Phatty out of tune after using pitch wheel (Fixed)

Everything Sub.
Jensvu

Sub Phatty out of tune after using pitch wheel (Fixed)

Post by Jensvu » Mon May 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing something weird with my Sub Phatty:

When i turn it on it is perfectly tuned, but after using the pitch wheel (even if i only just touch it) my Sub is completely out of tune (over a complete tone up).
When i turn it off and on again, it is back to perfect pitch but the same thing happens after using the pitch wheel.

I reinstalled the latest firmware but this did not help, there is no difference when there are midi cables connected or not.

What I did notice is that is that in the sub phatty editor in Logic X the pitch wheel on the screen starts to go up and down without me touching anything.
When I use the pitch wheel in the editor without first touching the physical wheel, everything works fine tough...

Anybody had something similar and solved the problem?

I hope the wheel itself is not broken...

Cheers!

Jens
Last edited by Jensvu on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breun

Re: Sub Phatty out of tune after using pitch wheel

Post by breun » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Does this also happen when the synth is not connected to your computer? Maybe you have created a MIDI feedback loop or something. Do you have local control enabled?

Amos explains more about MIDI feedback loops here: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 67#p140267

Jensvu

Post by Jensvu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:15 am

Yes, this does also happen when it's disconnected from the computer. Local control knob is enabled.

I've been trying to find some info on this problem, but no succes and since it's out of warranty I do not want to send it in for repair unless it's absolutely necessary.

Anybody any thoughts? It's driving me crazy... I ended up taping down the pitch wheel so it cannot be moved...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Maybe your pitch wheel needs some physical fix.
Not a solution but until then, a tip is that the greater PW amount (e.g. 1 octave) the more the problem is audible.

Jensvu

Post by Jensvu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:07 pm

thanks for the reply,

I got it fixed! It turned out to be a physical thing as stiiiiiiive suggested.

I decided to open everything up. There is a screw attached to the pitch wheels potmeter so it can be adjusted. I hooked the Sub up to a tuner in my DAW and while turning the screw i could tune it very precisely.

So nothing broken, just out of tune, it was nice to take a look inside the Sub btw, really good build quality!

Happy it's fixed without having to send it out for repair!

Cheers,

Jens