Moog into a Valve Bass Amp?

Everything Phatty.
jetbike

Moog into a Valve Bass Amp?

Post by jetbike » Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 am

I'm a bass player in a post-rock noisy band. After some time messing around with pedals to try getting a good synth sound I'm wondering if I shouldn't just bite the bullet and buy a Moog sub phatty?

My idea is to use this to play dirty, glitchy synth lines, which I can then loop and play my bass over the top of.

I'm wondering if I should just A/B my bass and the Moog into my bass rig? My rig is an Australian-made 200w all tube head from 1973 and an Ampeg 410. I have a collection of pedals, but favour the dirty/fuzzy/clanky.

Any thoughts?

till

Re: Moog into a Valve Bass Amp?

Post by till » Mon May 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Be careful with the volume of the Moog. It got an way hotter output level then a bass.
And Bass amp is OK, but the sound may be very different from a normal amplification. And some valve distortions will shape the sound too. So depending on the sound you are for or the sound you select, the bass valve amp may sound better or very different.

I remember playing my cheap Casio VL-1 in the the early eighties through a bass valve amp of a friend. It sounded different for sure. But way better then with a normal amplification.

So give it a chance.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon May 02, 2016 11:05 pm

till wrote: I remember playing my cheap Casio VL-1 in the the early eighties through a bass valve amp of a friend. It sounded different for sure
You are a complete mad-man Sir, and I salute you 8)

Daniel Kinnaird

Post by Daniel Kinnaird » Mon May 02, 2016 11:45 pm

Hey Jetbike,

I'm primarily a bass player and double on synth, (Sub 37 and Moog Voyager). I encourage you to experiment through your current bass rig because anything you can do to simplify your setup is a win! That said, I've never liked the sound of my synth's through any of bass rigs I've used. (Everything from Jules Amp Monique, Glockenklang, Markbass, TC Electronic, Sadowsky SA200 etc through Bergantino speakers). I usually take a quality DI and monitor through the PA foldback, (with mixed results).

Dan.

Space Lee

Post by Space Lee » Tue May 03, 2016 11:19 am

I do exactly what you're intending to do and am enjoying the crap out of it! So go for it!! :D
Sub 37 Bob Moog Tribute Edition | Sub Phatty | Win10 pro 64bit | MOTU 828mk3 fw

m10k

Post by m10k » Wed May 04, 2016 2:47 pm

I run my sub37 through a 70's Fender Bassman 100 and have had zero issues. It sounds great too!