Newb question about fine tune

Everything Sub.
nglez

Newb question about fine tune

Post by nglez » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Hey guys,

this is my first analog synth and I have a question about the fine tune of my moog sub 37. I wanted to record some leads and the pitch was slightly flat so I fine tuned it with the knob. I had to turn the knob to around 2 o´clock. As far as I understand, this is normal right? Now my question is, why is it that the overall tuning of a synth can vary so much? What factors does it depend on? As far as the practical side of things, do you use a tuner and fine tune every time? Or can I expect everything to stay stable?

Sorry if these question seem obvious to some of you, just trying to understand everything :)

Thanks!

Bald Eagle

Re: Newb question about fine tune

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:24 am

I have found the Sub 37 oscillators to be very stable but temperature can have an effect on tuning.

seanpark

Re: Newb question about fine tune

Post by seanpark » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Here are some parameters that affect tuning:

VARIANCE (global menu)
FINE TUNE
OSC 2 Hz OFFSET
OSC 2 BEAT FREQ

Sub 37 features real analog VCOs. These drift mostly due to temperature. It is good practice to turn on analog music gear a few minutes before use allowing temperature to stabilize. Direct sunlight can spike a synth's temperature. The sub 37 is pretty stable as far as VCOs are concerned tho.

IMHO always tune to a known reference when recording. Nothing sucks like having to retune instruments over and over again to match various offsets.