Open Eye Signal Jon Hopkins Bass

Everything Phatty.
HALX

Open Eye Signal Jon Hopkins Bass

Post by HALX » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi
I am very new to synthesis and just start to make my way around basic patch. It's really great doing that with the sub37 with all the fonction layered on the panel.
I discovered Job Hopkins with his last album immunity and I have been obsessed with the bass on the track Open Eye Signal: https://youtu.be/Q04ILDXe3QE.
I was wondering if there was any synth guru who could take me in through detailed guide to how reproduce it.
Not that I want to copy it but from a learning point of view.
I can't figure how he did it at all while it may be very simple (or not). I love how the texture and the rhythm keep changing, sometimes smoothly, over more abruptly. I know after reading multiple interview, that Jon worked a lot with a MS20 on this album and that this bass was produced with it. I don't know if that makes it more difficult to reproduce with the Sub37.
In a way, I link it to Stephan Bodzin work on Singularity (this one done, still according to interviews, with a SUB37), even if they are 2 very different track and sounds. But what I am after is this sound shaping features that bring so much and that i am unable to reproduce, always ending up on the most basic (even if great) sound.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Yosemite 64 / Ableton Live 9.6 / Moog Sub37 / Komplte Audio 6

axool

Re: Open Eye Signal Jon Hopkins Bass

Post by axool » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:55 am

Hello,
I wrote a very long message that got lost...anyway I'll start again :
A few important things to notice :
The bassline is in 6/4, but the drums track in 4/4, producing a nice shifting effect
It's based on a single pitch being slowly detuned to hit the minor third and the minor second, resulting in a phrygian melody.
It's heavily distorded.
there's some LFO filter modulation going on and the resonance is pretty high at the end
almost any analog synth will do the trick.
Hope that helps.
If anybody has some secrets about the making of this album, please send me a PM.