LP & SP poly chain question

Everything Phatty.
CeeHigh

LP & SP poly chain question

Post by CeeHigh » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:00 am

Hello everyone. I got my first Moog, the Tribute LP, about 2 months ago and love it. I've started watching poly chained videos on youtube and they are really inspiring me. But I have a question about MIDI sequencing them with an MPC 1000.

I use the Little Phatty 99% of the time for my basslines. The reason for poly-chaining (in my case at least) would be to get a 4-voice lush, Moog pad and/or lead.

I MIDI sequence everything on the MPC 1000. I also MIDI sequence the Indigo 2 Virus (16-part timbral; MIDI I/O/Thru) and it's what I use now for pads, bells, and other layers.

The LP & SP both only Send & Receive on one MIDI Channel at a time. But...

I want the Little Phatty for my bass always.

So to have 4 voice Moog pad or lead, while having a bassline from the Little Phatty... would require me to buy 4 Slim Phatties, poly chain them and use the Indigo 2 Virus (or any capable device) as their controller?

Because to my understanding of MIDI with the Moogs, if I were to use the Little Phatty in the Polychain setup, it would have to be dedicated to whatever poly sound I'm going for and I would have to use another different source for my bass, right?

So in final, to keep the Little Phatty handling my bass duty always, while laying a 4-voice Moog Poly sound on top, the setup in the most simplistic manner, would look like this?:

1x Little Phatty -> bass sequence on MIDI Channel 1
4x Slim Phatty --> 4-voice Poly Pad/Lead on MIDI Channel 2
1x Indigo 2 Virus -> controlling the Slim Phatty Poly
1x MPC 1000 -> sequencing LP bassline on Channel 1, SP Poly pad/lead on Channel 2