Sub 37 Low Headphone Level

Everything Sub.
abmusic

Sub 37 Low Headphone Level

Post by abmusic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:58 am

So I've noticed that no matter what headphones I use (Sony, KRK, Sennehiser all impedance from 36-about 100), the output on my Sub 37 is low--not inaudible by any means, but not cranking loud even at max settings on both dials.

Similarly, when I run the line out into my audio interface via a Radial DI box, I have to juice the mic preamp about 20-30db to get a really punchy and loud sound.

The units I demoed in the stores were insanely loud past the 11-12 o'clock level (maybe even before) with volume and at home it seems to need to be at full volume (multidrive and feedback give it a good push but not always looking to overdrive everything). Korg MS-20 mini is punchier too via headphones.

Apologies if I'm just being really dense and overly paranoid. Full disclosure: the store units were always hooked up to amps so that probably explains the insanely touchy volume. That being said, why is the headphone output so low?

Have seen some other people mention the headphone port, so maybe this is just how the thing works.

Someone also suggested that there also needs to be headroom for the feedback and multidrive--which when fully pushed does make things pretty loud with headphones.

Again sorry for any paranoia.

dhocks76

Re: Sub 37 Low Headphone Level

Post by dhocks76 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:41 am

sounds pretty normal to me..
but why the DI box? no line-in on the audio interface?

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 am

For general noodling I use standard apple first-gen earpods.

At full output volume/full headphone volume even an init patch is unbearably loud for me.

I normally have the main output volume set to 5 and headphone volume set to 6 or 7 and that's plenty loud enough - the main volume has to be taken down if multidrive/feedback are in play.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

abmusic

Post by abmusic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Hmm not sure. I would say that at max volume the init patch is just about what I consider mid range...definitely not unbearably loud.

Is there any specific way to test this and see if something is wrong?

breun

Post by breun » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:11 am

Do you have the main output volume up? That one also affects the headphone volume.

From the Sub 37 manual (1.1, page 8):
If you’ll be using headphones, plug them into the headphones jack (on the front panel’s bottom-right corner) with HEADPHONE VOLUME turned all the way down. Adjust the level by slowly turning the HEADPHONE VOLUME knob clockwise while playing the keyboard. Note that MASTER VOLUME must be turned up as well.
My experience is that the Sub 37 can deliver a lot of output actually.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:15 am

i have Sony 7506s and AKG, etc. Theres plenty volume in the headphones for me.

i have a feeling its like breun describes...you dont have both volumes up properly

aroom

Post by aroom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I have to agree that in rehearsal I also find that the headphone level output is too low for me, because sometimes I just can't put the main volume to the max, cause it may be too much for gear input...

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:04 pm

i have a feeling its like breun describes...you dont have both volumes up properly
I'd have thought that too - but they did say in their opening post:
not inaudible by any means, but not cranking loud even at max settings on both dials
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

abmusic

Post by abmusic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 pm

paul_sub37 wrote:
I'd have thought that too - but they did say in their opening post:
not inaudible by any means, but not cranking loud even at max settings on both dials
I do indeed have the main volume up to max before adjusting headphone level. Init patch with max volume and osc 1 only set to about 12 o'clock just isn't that loud.

Part of me just feels like I'm making mountains out of mole hills here, but just want to be sure before the warranty expires in March.

Any ideas/help would be awesome :) but maybe there just isn't anything wrong!

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 am

Some kind of replicable metering that other sub 37 owners could do and compare with yours would give an answer - but I really don't know how to go about doing that as audio interfaces vary.