Sub 37 and TR-8... is this possible?

Everything Sub.
mhd333

Sub 37 and TR-8... is this possible?

Post by mhd333 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:30 am

hi everyone -

merry christmas!

this is my first post. i picked up a sub 37 several weeks ago and have been loving it! my first analog synth and what a wonderful machine to start with :)

i am working on a song with a drone bass and would like to get the the bass to pulse/growl to a rhythm that i sequence in the TR-8. it would be really useful, for example, to open the filter to the beat or trigger one of the envelopes to the beat, etc. being able to play/record the sequence on the TR-8 instead of having to program the sub 37 internal sequencer seems like it would be an intuitive and musical way to get this effect without having to stop the music.

so... is this possible? thanks everybody!

matt

aroom

Re: Sub 37 and TR-8... is this possible?

Post by aroom » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:22 am

of course it's possible.

-you can connect the midi out from the tr8 to the midi in of the sub37, sync both lfo's a tweak them
-you can also sync and loop both ASDR
-you can program and sync the sub37 sequencer step with mod
-you could use a Korg MS20, and use the ESP
-you could use a MF-105M MIDI MuRF ?
-you could use a Koma FT201 – ANALOG FILTER / 10 STEP SEQUENCER or a RH301 – RHYTHM WORK STATION ?

mhd333

Post by mhd333 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:45 pm

hi aroom -

thanks for the reply and the suggestions. i do have the sub 37 sync'ed to the tr-8 via midi and enjoy experimenting with the various sync functions on the sub 37. i'm still figuring out how to program step sequencer modulation on the sub 37 (heck, i'm still learning most of this stuff!). my idea was to be able to record in real time a rhythm on the TR-8 and have that rhythm drive modulation on the sub 37 (like the sub's internal sequencer does - as you mention) and to do this without any extra gear or a computer. sounds like that may not be possible. that's ok. just a 'nice to have' idea.

cheers!

aroom

Post by aroom » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:44 pm

hi

as you mentioned, I think It won't be possible without an extra gear. but you should try to find a MS20 or something equivalent. you could just build and play your pattern / rhythm on the TR-8 and use the sound output to modulate an envelop or / and a CV + TRIGG, and so modulate the Sub37 with the ext CV input.

I've been doing that with my Yamaha CS-15 and my MS-20, and it a nice feature.

regarding the sequencer modulation, maybe the editor would help you. it's still in beta, but you can get it by emailing Amos from moog.

cheers

mhd333

Post by mhd333 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:42 pm

hi again aroom -

a quick call to moog tech pointed me in the direction of the cv inputs which i see you have recommended as well. right now i have TR-8 toms assigned to a dedicated output which is plugged into the gate input on the s37. i have the gate inverted and am able to get some useful effects by assigning the gate to osc2 sync and the mixer 'on' switches.

i have so much to learn! i had no idea i could route audio to those CV inputs.

i still haven't quite accomplished the sound in my head yet, but i am moving along in that general direction and enjoying the process.

cheers to you and all the folks in the moog community. i wish you all a happy and healthy 2016!

aroom

Post by aroom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 am

hi

good news ! that's the way to go. in my system I use the click output from my oberheim DX to sync my juno 60 and poly 6. I route the signal through a patch bay, so I can duplicate it and also I could sum it with other audio signal, f.e. the click and the snare drum. it's not "legit" but as it's only for modulation purpose, it's more than ok.

those little tricks are nice if you want to get a sort of organic sync modulation.