Non metronomic patterns?

Everything Sub.
braddo

Non metronomic patterns?

Post by braddo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 pm

So I guess I know what a step sequencer is supposed to be but somehow it seems strange I can't create a pattern with some groove to it. If I wanted to create an arpeggiation which had two eighth notes then a triplet is it possible? I guess one could multiply everything by a common multiple and tie notes together then speed things up to simulate that combo but I guess I thought the sequencer would be a bit more like a midi recorderthan only allowing quantized notes. Any tips here?

jsharpphoto

Re: Non metronomic patterns?

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 pm

You are talking about ratcheting the sequencer. But there are huge differences between a sequencer and a midi looper. Get creative. If it worked for Kraftwerk and tangerine dream, it will work for you, too.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

braddo

Post by braddo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:00 am

Good point t on ratcheting, I had forgotten about that! Then also I am getting a midi looper shortly to assemble moog tracks and can't wait.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:32 am

Post up a video or two when you get it running.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:07 am

Set one of your LFOs to be square wave and then make the arpeggio rate its destination (hold its dest button and move the arp rate nobe). Then play with the Mod Amt and rate so it times up to get pattern you want. It can be hard to get it exact but the hemiola it can create by being slightly off can be even more interesting sometimes.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

braddo

Post by braddo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:56 pm

I really just had a wrong impression that the sequencer was a midi recorder. I thought I could play a phrase and have the machine not quantize it, just replay it as a sampler would. My error. I don't have so much interest in step sequencers in general I guess... not why I got this machine!

braddo

Post by braddo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:49 pm

I should rephrase in that I actually had the arpeggiation and sequencer somewhat comingled and was thinking/hoping the arpegiator would record non step sequences, I did know what a step sequencer is, just wanted to repeat non metronomic phrases, wasn't expecting to just record whole songs.

aroom

Post by aroom » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:48 am

this is an interesting topic, cause what's "groove" anyway. nowadays, almost every recorded samples are instantly and automatically quantized. imho, you can have a beat / phrase who groove but is perfectly on the beat.

groove is different from swing. you could add swing to you sequence. it's an other story / flavor, both record from Kraftwerk or Jay Dilla would make my head bounce.

my point is, programming a sequencer or a drum machine is really interesting, cause you learn a lot about rhythm patterns. being also a drummer, I've improved my drum skills by decomposing even more a pattern while programming it with a mouse or drum computer.

with the sub37 sequencer, you could try to record a 16 steps sequence in the step by step mode and run it live and re-record it. it's not easy at all, cause you can't stay on a note any longer than 1/16, but with some practice you can play / record your phrase live and get to know how to tie a step really quickly. I personally quit suck at this exercise.

don't give up on the sequencer. it's not a midi recorder but nevertheless it's a powerful creative tool.

braddo

Post by braddo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:05 am

Thanks for the reply, was talking to myself for a while there... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get you on the value of a step sequencer, but since I'm not so much into dubstep house etc I don't think I'll use it except for the arpegiator and even then not much. Besides that, to me, a step sequencer is especially useful for percussion. But since you can't sequence different patches on the Sub37, again pretty worthless to try to get analog drums into a beat with the onboard step sequencer. Not even sure you could use an external one since quick patch changes might not work, would need to track every part separately into a DAW then play over it or better just sample, but then there are probably moog drum samples readily available...

I get your point about using it to practice ... Actually tried that because I really liked a sub phatty demo song, this one:
https://youtu.be/RPB8M6xpfJ0

And attempted to sequence the bass line. Forget it!

Yet I was able to tap a matched tempo on the RC-505 then just record and loop that phrase and slow down the tempo to hear the notes and play along. It took all of 45 seconds!

If you like the kind of synth music a step sequencer is traditionally associated with I'm sure it's great but its wasted on me. If I use one it will probably be an external one unless someone could describe how this one could be used for drums

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:30 am

Out of curiosity, what type of music do you do?
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

braddo

Post by braddo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:24 pm

I have mstly been a singer but got the moog to play funk/soul/70s rock type stuff.