Sub Phatty in ProTools - AAX Plug-in

Everything Sub.
AdamScriv

Sub Phatty in ProTools - AAX Plug-in

Post by AdamScriv » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Just wondered if anyone knows a good way to implement the Sub Phatty Editor (AAX) plugin into their ProTools workflow? I can't get my head around how Moog expected this to be used.

Here's where I am with it: USB MIDI seems to be working fine, stand alone (.exe) editor works a charm too. But in ProTools, I can either have MIDI working (I/O with the Moog's USB) and record and replay MIDI data on a MIDI track, OR, I can disable the Moog MIDI input (in the ProTools input device list) and get the plugin working on an audio/instrument track. I can't get the two to co-exist.

In the latter mode of course I can't record any MIDI notes, AND, the ProTools automation lanes only record control moves made on the computer within the plug-in, not moves made on the Phatty's surface. The plugin graphics show the hardware controls being used, so it's definitely receiving data from the surface.

I started to wonder if you're meant to pass MIDI through the plugin (i.e. have a MIDI track with an input from and output to the plugin, letting the plugin handle MIDI IO to the hardware.) That didn't work either.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Adam

Renaud

Re: Sub Phatty in ProTools - AAX Plug-in

Post by Renaud » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:38 pm

Hello !

I second you to this. I'm currently using the Sub Phatty Editor and it seems to work fine both ways when I totally disable the Sub in my DAW's midi inputs (using FL Studio). I can then move, for example, the cutoff on the Sub and see it move in the editor and vice versa. But I can't send notes to the Sub!

If I activate the Sub in my DAW's midi inputs, I can send notes but the thing doesn't work anymore : if I move the cutoff on the Sub, it moves in the editor. But if I tweak it in the editor, the sound of the Sub remains unchanged.

So basically yeah: same issue. How is this supposed to work?

Thanks !

AdamScriv

Post by AdamScriv » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Glad it's not just me then! It just feels like a conflict from two sources (plugin & DAW) trying to read/write MIDI to the same physical port. I wonder if plugging up "real" MIDI at the same time as USB MIDI would help in some way...?

Maybe the Plugin could communicate on USB for visual feedback & preset stuff (without doing any automation) and the DAW could use the MIDI port for record/replay of notes & controllers. Not sure how that would work with the extended controls available in the editor.

That said, even if it worked, it seems unnecessarily complicated. I can't believe there isn't a slicker way. I know it works fine just on USB MIDI in Ableton....And since Moog went to the trouble of making an AAX plugin, someone, somewhere, must know how to use it, haha!

AdamScriv

Post by AdamScriv » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:29 pm

@Renaud did you get any further this? I haven't.....yet. But I want to find some time to try it again soon!

Renaud

Post by Renaud » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:02 am

Yeah no.

I myself try to use the VST Sub Phatty Editor in Fl Studio in coordination with my Sub. In FL the Sub Phatty Editor is in an FX rack on my master channel.

If I prevent FL to use the Sub midi input, the Sub Phatty Editor works and controls the Sub controls. And I can then automate the Sub Phatty Editor buttons. But this is of no use as I can't send midi notes anymore from FL.

It seems only the DAW or the Editor can communicate with the Sub at a given time. Not both.

Haven't tried AAX but this doesn't seem related to the issue. I'm kinda waiting for someone to help us...