Little Phatty pitch bend not calibrating

Everything Phatty.
Frameboy

Little Phatty pitch bend not calibrating

Post by Frameboy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:59 pm

Hey guys,

Just bought a LP SII for a low price with a bad pitch bend. The previous owner wasn't a tech head and had just said it was broken and jumping intermittently. I assumed it was a bad pot and with the money I saved could even buy a whole new pitch/mod unit and still got a good deal if a DIY repair didn't work.

On firing up the LP I found that the pitch bend does not bend down, and when you apply even the lightest pressure up the note jumps up to the highest range and back down on releasing it.

I've gone into the settings and factory reset then tried calibrating the pitch wheel and I'm getting promising signs but then weirdness.

First I get 2054 2058 2061

after calibrations 394 2060 3704 (the final digit of the middle number is always a blur though as it keeps flicking between numbers even when wheel is left untouched. During calibrations the numbers move smoothly suggesting that the pot is working correctly even with the blurring end number constantly in the middle value.

So I hit 'enter' and now I can bend downwards but not up at all. If I go back into 'Calibration' the numbers are back to similar ranges as when I started but slightly out e.g. 2058 2061 2065

Can anyone suggest what to do? The bend clearly does work but saving the calibration isn't working, and the PB wheel wont hold a steady value.

Really appreciate any help!

Frame
Gear: Moog LP SII / MicroKorg / Akai EWI 4000s / Yamaha P-140 / Focusrite Saffire / Macbook Pro

paramnesia

Re: Little Phatty pitch bend not calibrating

Post by paramnesia » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 am

UNREAD_POSTby Control_Voltage » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:21 am
Hi Guys,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!!!

Feel free to call or email us for support with these sorts of issues, sometimes these are quite simple to suss out over the phone:

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Moog Music, Inc.
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

Frameboy

Post by Frameboy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Hey Andy,

I'm in the UK. I've tried the suggested retailers, but one only deals with vintage (although he was really helpful) and the other hasn't replied to me after a week!

I've just tried emailing your tech support on the main website and will see what happens!

Thanks.
Gear: Moog LP SII / MicroKorg / Akai EWI 4000s / Yamaha P-140 / Focusrite Saffire / Macbook Pro

Frameboy

Post by Frameboy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:34 am

Just an update. It's fixed!

After hunting through the System Utilities menu I found a second pitch bend related setting under PW Amount. I'd realised the unit was out of tune by 2 tones and after letting the PW Amount recalibrate, the pitch wheel started working properly and gave me a bend of 1 tone each side.

The LP also turned out to be out of tune by a fair way from concert pitch. I ran the note recalibration and left the 2 hour long cycle while I went out for a gig and on my return everything was back to factory fresh!

Dead chuffed. Looks like the previous owners had really messed the settings up and figured it was broken without doing any research. Bargain for me :)