Do I need a Sub37??

Everything Sub.
Bertotti

Re: Do I need a Sub37??

Post by Bertotti » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:05 am

If you have your heart set on a sub37 go for it. The Sub37 is a great synth, but if you are just interested in that sound there are easier options to getting. Sometimes the want out weighs the easier choice and I get the impression you would like to have the sub37.

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:29 am

Thank you for your tips :)
Of course it's not a cheap investment but Im afraid that if I buy a cheep one
I'll go the next mile a year later or so.....
For me it's more importand that I get the sound I need and to be flexible than to Save a few bugs.
The Price is fine with me (I play Gibson LesPaul ;-) so im used to suffer moneywise ;-) )
But thanks for the input :wink:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:07 am

Then you seem to have your answer :)
Keep us in touch!

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:21 am

Hopefully :wink:
Thank you all for your input :)
Next stop .... Music Store :wink:
I'll check it live and will Report als soon aus I get one :D

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:31 am

Congratulations! I must admit to being a bit jealous I have yet to get mine!

No Gibsons here but I hear you. I love my strat but my go to guitar is a 000-18ge with the 37 burst Martin! Hmm now I wonder how you Gibby will sound through the Sub37 but run the sub to a pa or such it would be a shame to mess up the Princeton!

But be sure to have fun with it!

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Uhhh :? the next one.... Is it really so dangerous to play it via the amp??
I thought you can adjust the output and as long as there is no loud LvL needed ( bedroom recording )
it would be a grate sound via the amp :?:

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't know, keep the levels low you would probably be ok the speaker could take a beating depending on the speaker in it it is voiced for a guitar and the low end could be an issue.

J-P-G

Post by J-P-G » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:34 pm

What do you normally use as speakers ( Type or Kind aktive / passive) ?
Or is it better to go via Headset and / or audiointerface and the PC?

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:06 pm

I use a couple QSC K10 or some dt880pros for the synths I have including the minitaur. I could use a sub of ruminator but the K10 do work well. The QSC are active speaker cabs. You may find with proper levels you princeton will be ok, but if you go bass or lower I just worry about ruining a guitar speaker. I have see a cone separate before. I wouldn't run out for these items hopefully someone here will have more detailed information then I have. Or you could email support for your amp and ask them or call, which is usually quicker. I like emails because if they give me the wrong advice I have some proof.

THX5

Post by THX5 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi J-P-G,

I'm in a similar situation as you. I'm a 30+ year guitar player who was looking to add some cool monophonic synth backgrounds, ambiance, and beats to my music. I've always been intrigued with Moog's synths and finally decided to pull the trigger and get a Sub37. I agree with your philosophy: buy cheap, buy twice (that's how I explained it to my wife when I bought my Les Paul Custom :D ). My Sub37 arrived yesterday and although I've only been able to play with it for a few hours after work each day, I'm completely blown away by the amazing sounds emanating from this incredible instrument. Don't let the complexity "scare" you. I've barely scratched the surface and can get some great sounds. Having all the buttons and knobs on the face of the Sub37 has been a great learning tool because everything is so logically laid out that it's very easy to follow the signal path and get an idea of what turning a certain knob may do.

I'm running my Sub37 into a Moog MF-103 Phaser and a Strymon Big Sky. I have the same goal as you to keep everything on the keyboard side of things running as pure analog as possible, with Big Sky being an obvious exception. However, it's so clean and sounds so amazing with this synth (and guitar) that it's well worth breaking my "rule".

Also, regarding the polyphonic synths: I plan to use the Sub37's MIDI controls to drive a software polyphonic synth. I know it's not ideal, but I'm just playing around in my home studio, so it'll work for me.

Go ahead and take the leap. It's a lot of money, but for me, it's been a great leap so far and I can't wait to really dig into everything!
Sub37 | Minitaur | Slim Phatty | MF-104M | MF-108M | MF-103 | CP-251 | 500 Series Ladder & Analog Delay | Strymon Big Sky
Windows 7 - 64 Bit | Pro Tools 12.5 | Ableton Live 9.6 & Push 2

Puredrums

Post by Puredrums » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:08 pm

As someone who is really into tone, shaping and sculpting - I was pleasantly surprised to learn about how the gain signal path was designed, and the use of JFETs. It's pretty easy to get the Sub37 sitting nice in the mix. The Sub 37 Analog Architecture video is pretty inspiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYzsz2U7RM0
Windows 10 / Cubase 8.5 64 / Minitaur / Animoog / Model 15 / Filtatron