New Sub 37 owner, first Moog! Having serious midi sync issue

Everything Sub.
klickflip

New Sub 37 owner, first Moog! Having serious midi sync issue

Post by klickflip » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi, new proud owner of Sub 37 here :) thought I'd say hi and ask a few queries.

Really loving the sound and build quality & feel, never thought I'd own a Moog.. went in to buy a shsss BassStation II and ended up getting a Sub 37 (a few weeks later)
Demo'd the BS and thought it was cold and brutal and filter zipped really badly, on way out I had a little play on the sub 37 and the difference was night and day, even a straight oscillator on the 37 sounded beautiful compared to having to really program something interesting on the BS to get it to sound anyway decent.
Reminds me of boy racers with Hondas and modded engines and exhaust that sound impressive until you hear the natural growl of a Ferrari or Masserati and touch the finish !

As good as it is , I'm having major troubles with in when connected to my DAW - Ableton live 9.
Sub 37 firmware says M1.1.0 and P1.1.0
Ive got sync settings right in Live I believe, same as rest of my gear ( and checked from some posts about Live / sub settings on forum here)
Firstly sync is wayyyy off, really late. Unusable!
When I hold down the sync button for Arp it doesn't lock on, and LFOs don't lock either( but I believe they are tied to the Arp's master clock so thats no surprise)
Also when changing Arp or LFO sync divisions it doesn't change smoothly , again seems late and struggles.
Ive tried standard Midi cables and USB (I also have midi echo disabled on the 37)
I've also found I have to add minus delay compensation for the midi I record, seems to be getting in late to the DAW, and again theres another delay when it sends out.

And one more thing is it is hanging notes a lot.. much more than my Blofeld which is renowned for being glitchy or having a slightly dodgy arp sync(which is milliseconds compared to the sub37!
Typically I have to power if off 3 or 4 times in a 3 hour session. When I panic reset (oct up and down together) this kills the hanging note but it then looses all Midi connectivity in Live. After that It won't even show up as a midi device anymore. So I have to power down Sub37 and shut mac down and restart it and Live to be able to see it in midi devices again. ( Simply turning the 37 on and off doesn't reinstate the midi connection, or restarting Live either - its got to be a full computer power off and on.

I don't think it is Live's problem as my glitchy Blofeld only hangs occasionally and a quick power down fixes it. Plus my old trusty Access Virus B , never ever misses a beat and I mean that, it syncs arp, LFOs, delays impeccably and thats not had a OS update in 10 years !
Also I don't ever have any midi delay or sync problems with my setup on anything else.

Couple of other sound generation tips someone might be able to help me with is the following-
Aftertouch or Mod to filter cutoff, I can't see in the manual .. could be me skimming it. But I like to have control of filter , normally to open it up a bit more with my fingers when playing with with mod wheel or aftertouch.

Pitch on LFOs, it seems really sensitive I like to program just a touch of drift on a LFO and the pitch amount know seems way to extreme. I literally have to try to find the microest movement from the centre indent to get the amount I like,often it jumps back to center indent.

Clicks on note on - I'm getting quite a lot of this and this isn't a quick filter / EG decay setting or anything, I find I have to turn the Amp EG Attack to about 10 ( a quarter or a third up) and this does affect my sound and softens the attack which isn't ideal - any tips for this?

LFO master amount control, slightly peaved that there's no master LFO amount knob for each LFO, granted Mod wheel hard wired to LFO1 gets round this but it would be great to have control of LFO 2 as well ( and as I mentioned I like to use mod wheel for filter sometimes) - Negating the aftertouch to filter option, can I control LFO 2 master amount to aftertouch?
Also any way to assign multiple destinations to the LFO pgm amount section, would love to be able to send LFO to say OSC wave, and frequency and amp release together in varying amounts (guess Im used to multiple destinations on the virus and blofeld) I know i can always program overdubs in midi DAW automation or use M4L LFO midi cc scripts or something but that takes away the live element.

Display info - is there any way to see if you are saving an edited patch over another patch you've made, all I can see is a number and that doesn't tell me if Its a location I've save to already.. lost a couple of great patches already this way! I may have to print out a wall chart I can update and write on.
Knob parameter original level indication - There's no way to tell what the original value was when tweaking knobs is there? Something like the display showing the original value would be great or a LED lighting up somewhere when you notch the original value again would be great .
I guess these last two should probably be posted in the OS update whishlists thread!

I have to apologise for writing a small essay on my first post ! So much to ask , and nobody else I know has one.
If it may be better to post these as 3 separate posts let me know.
Thanks if you made it to end of my post, and bigger thanks for anyone that replies and shares some tips and help to me.

Peace.
Steve

ticcthesoulrebel

Re: New Sub 37 owner, first Moog! Having serious midi sync i

Post by ticcthesoulrebel » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Hey I think the Note hanging on is an ableton issue. i just got my sub 37 too if you ableton's new beta the note hangs seem to be fixed