Sub 37 poly chain questions

Everything Sub.
Dtray777

Sub 37 poly chain questions

Post by Dtray777 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 am

Hey guys wanting to chain my sub 37 to either a slim or a minitaur,

Just wondering 2 things

1.how does editing work between 2 different machines? Will the other unit try to match the settings as you edit on the sub37?

2. Does duo mode on the 37 still use the first 2 notes in the chain so you can have 3 tones going at once?

Thanks!

Rbwduece

Re: Sub 37 poly chain questions

Post by Rbwduece » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:43 am

I don't have a Minitaur, so I can't speak for it. However, the Sub 37 is pretty compatible with the Slim. Almost every knob and setting on the Sub 37 will manipulate the equivalent parameter on the Slim, with the exception of the 2 Mod sections. (The Slim doesn't seem to respond to the MOD amount, Pitch, and MOD Speed knobs. Although, I haven't spent a whole lot of time trying to figure that part out) Hmmm. What else? There are obviously different presets on the Sub 37 than the Slims, so matching them up will take a bit of tweaking. However, that's part of the fun with combining these units; getting multiple timbres. When the Slims are slaved to the Sub 37, any tweaking done on the Sub's panel will also take place on the Slim. However, tweaking on the Slim will not affect the Sub 37, which is good....bare with me, here, as I'm thinking while I type....Oh, the arpeggiator/sequencer is really fun to use when they're polychained, especially if you have it running through a mixer and are panning different voices to the left or right. Things can get really interesting. Hook a few of them up, get a sequence going, and tweak the settings on each voice and it's like playing with a modular. I will say one thing that may help you out when in polychain mode. If you plan to trigger the Sub 37 with a midi keyboard/controller/DAW and still get polyphony, you'll want to get into the Sub's Midi menu and set the ECHO MIDI OUT to DIN. If you don't, only the Sub 37 voice will trigger. Again, that's only necessary when controlling the polychain with another controller/DAW. Taking the units out of polychain and playing them in "unison" sounds really awesome, too.....Oh, the duophonic is disabled in polychain mode, unfortunately, so you will not get that extra voice. For more on that, refer to some older posts in this forum. Amos goes into detail about the DUO mode + polychain. Well, that's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:53 pm

I polychain my S37 to a PAIR of minitaurs. Almost every knob on the sub effects the same parameter on each Minitaur. Even for the adjustments made in the "under the hood" section that don't have physical knobs.

It's what I like to call "amazeballs".

As far as duo mode, as far as I have found, it doesn't perform properly with polychaining.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Dtray777

Post by Dtray777 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:57 pm

That's awesome!! Do the chords sound good, or are they too rich and heavy?

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:55 am

Dtray777 wrote:That's awesome!! Do the chords sound good, or are they too rich and heavy?
Too rich and heavy? Is that a thing? The chords sound however you built the sound. Make it thick, or thin. The fun really starts when you're integrating multiple units that have different oscillator shapes. Like some sort sine waves on the sub, and squares on a Minitaur. Or activate the envelope loop function with a really short attack and long release (on the sub37) and really long attack on another synth, so the notes are coming in and out in their own time. With some stereo panning, you get perfect drones.

I have started building patches for all my synths specifically for polychaining. So when they are all in "poly #x" they performed as desired. Then I have scenes in Ableton Live that launch midi program change clips to change all of the synths to the appropriate patch at the same time. So launching one "scene" will recall the corresponding patch on all three synths. It is a lot of prep work, but it makes actual playing and composing easier.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Dtray777

Post by Dtray777 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Sounds great!! Any audio examples you can post of a few chords with the sub and minitaurs ?

Rbwduece

Post by Rbwduece » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:14 pm

No Minitaurs in the mix, but here's the Sub 37 with 2 Slim Phatties: https://youtu.be/W5YHBoMf1X0

JehuJava

Post by JehuJava » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:41 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:I polychain my S37 to a PAIR of minitaurs.
How do you do that? With a midi splitter/thru box?
Bass player dabbling in synth.
Talkbass: jehujava

Moog Minitaur Rev 2 v2.1.9
Moog Sub 37
MacBook Pro OSX 10.9.5
Ableton Live 9.6
Peavey DPM C8p Midi Controller

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:42 pm

JehuJava wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:I polychain my S37 to a PAIR of minitaurs.
How do you do that? With a midi splitter/thru box?
Yes. The midi solutions quadra is a good piece. Cost is around $50, and can drive 4 minitaurs. The setup is a bit clunky, because your computer will only recognize one Minitaur at a time. So you have to connect one at a time, configure the minitaur in the editor, disconnect it and move on to the next. After that, it's smooth sailing. You'll need a small mixer to handle and balance all of the audio levels, but a small 6-8 channel behringer should do fine. You will even end up with a stereo output and if you pan them all off center a bit, you can make a very wide sound. Some mixers have reverb built in, which is a nice bonus.

I have sold off all of my minitaurs (one left for sale) because i just got an OB-6.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2