Midi problems with SUB37 and Cubase 8

Everything Sub.
klay

Midi problems with SUB37 and Cubase 8

Post by klay » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:27 pm

I have the UR22 audio/midi interface, and I'm using the USB cabel from my SUB37 to my MSI GE 2OE 17" laptop with cubase 8 pro. My first problem is that the SUB37 ARP when connected play all the notes once, and then it gets stuck only playing the last note, also when recording. This happens when using latch mode, I think the same is for the sequencer not sure, as I got stuck on trying to figure out the ARP. All is configured in the vst connections, I even tried to connect the SUB to a device and the output to the SUB, I don't think this is something you need to do, but it made no difference.

The second is that sometimes it will record midinotes but they don't play them back, and sometimes it will not record any mdi notes at all. I've tried with different settings, but haven't figure out to get it working as it should. Midi is sometimes lost, I also tried both the instrument track in cubase an also the rack track.

There is a lot to configure in the SUB, and I tried most of it. I'm running the latest firmware v1.1, I don't know if this is a cubase issue or the synth.
I like to know if someone run cubase 8 with the SUB37 with any issues, or not. I have windows 8.1 as my OS (clean installed and only cubase and some plugins on it). I've also bought the focusrite 18i8, but haven't tested it yet, Not at home at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards from Marten

jsharpphoto

Re: Midi problems with SUB37 and Cubase 8

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:09 am

It sounds like your first issue might be a matter of midi clock format. I've never used cubase, but in ableton there are different formats for sending clock to midi gear, (song, pattern, etc.)

The second issue might just be a matter of selecting the correct midi channel. I believe (and this is from memory) that the sub37 sends midi notes down channel 9, by default. Most DAWs default the channel 1 in your channel strip.

You may have addressed these issues already, which brings me to my final point. When describing a problem, don't say things like "I tried most things" because that doesn't really tell us WHAT you tried. There might be something obvious that you overlooked.

I hope you get is sorted, I use ableton to control my sub37 and it's an integral part of my rig.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

klay

Re: Midi problems with SUB37 and Cubase 8

Post by klay » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:46 pm

jsharpphoto wrote:It sounds like your first issue might be a matter of midi clock format. I've never used cubase, but in ableton there are different formats for sending clock to midi gear, (song, pattern, etc.)

The second issue might just be a matter of selecting the correct midi channel. I believe (and this is from memory) that the sub37 sends midi notes down channel 9, by default. Most DAWs default the channel 1 in your channel strip.

You may have addressed these issues already, which brings me to my final point. When describing a problem, don't say things like "I tried most things" because that doesn't really tell us WHAT you tried. There might be something obvious that you overlooked.

I hope you get is sorted, I use ableton to control my sub37 and it's an integral part of my rig.

I was tired after all the trial and error, but I think I have sorted the connection now.

Create an instrument track in cubase, make a MIDI device in VST connections.
In the Project synchronization setup, internal timecode and clock destinations to the MOOG and the UR22 Interface.
I checked, MIDI clock follows project position, always send start stop message and send MIDI clock in stop mode.

Record and Playback:
MIDI in MOOG SUB37
VST Connections MOOG SUB 37 MIDI link output set to MOOG out

Recording ARP and Sequencer:
VST Connections MOOG SUB37 MIDI Link Output set to Steinberg UR22

ARP sync button on when recording the ARP MIDI output

MOOG meny clock options: Send clock set to arp, send start stop to on, follow SPP to on

Playback:
Turn off the ARP or Sequencer on the MOOG

VST Connections MOOG SUB37 MIDI device link output set to MOOG SUB37 out

Thanks for responding