live rig: Sub37 through Minifoogers

Everything Sub.
namahshaman

live rig: Sub37 through Minifoogers

Post by namahshaman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:27 pm

In the endless quest to streamline my live rig, I decided to go with a Minifooger fx chain instead of the Moogerfoogers I'd previously been using (don't worry I didn't have to sell them, they're making their way into my Voyager studio setup) :wink:.

It's only been a few days of experimenting, but I've already noticed that the 37 and Minifoogers play very well together. Anyway, here's a little snapshot. :mrgreen:
minif37.jpg

slabwax

Re: live rig: Sub37 through Minifoogers

Post by slabwax » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Nice setup.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:12 pm

sweet! what's the 6 octave keyboard underneath?
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:17 am

THAT is a Nord Electro 4D (which runs through an EHX-MM BBD). :mrgreen:

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 am

^Perfect rig! I'm headed in almost exactly the same direction.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

sweet! Love that NORD sound :-)
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Nice Rig :D

R.

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks for the love.

Moogprog, you'll likely be glad you did. I have certainly conjured some very unconventional sounds from the Nord.

One fun little trick I use for tone: In addition to the Motion Sound amps (KP500 + SW250), which handle the main outs from the line mixer, I also use one of the mixer's Aux sends out to a Vox AC15 tube amp, then with the turn of a knob I can send as much or as little of a signal through the gritty overdrive of a classic tube. This can turn some of the patches from the Nord (AND the 37) into balls-out-screaming leads for solos and such…make your guitarist jealous :mrgreen: .

At our last show another bands keyboardist saw me stack the AC15 on top of my Motion Sound rig and said, What's that for? To which I responded, Oh thats my overdrive pedal :wink:.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:04 am

Hey Namah!
Nice set up indeed. I play a smiliar one in a couple of bands: NE4D + LP or MG1 + a couple of pedals.

I grabbed a MiniFooger Delay lastly, in order to replace my old 104Z with a lighter package. But it did not convinced me. The "whole-range" time knob of the MiniFooger is handier, but I prefer the ability to choose dark or brighter echoes with the long/short switch. The Minifooger is getting to bright for me when time decreases.
I use the 104Z for cool slapbacks, oldschool-roomy-verbs as well as conventional delays. It fits in any mix and stay noticeable, hard to define. When I had a NE3, I used to keep the integrated reverb for pianos and send the organs trough a different output into the 104Z.

The Cathedral... aah... great reverb. It belongs to my pedal board (for another band...) with a 104M -best delay I could find so far.

About the Vox: ideally, I wouldlike to be able to have a basement with some great guitar amps for synths, EPs, organs etc and some roadies to carry them haha. Meanwhile, I use analog simulations: the Tech21 VT Bass adds some rock 'n' roll to my LP's bass patches, the Blonde adds some cream to my wahwah leads, and a friend of mine uses the Liverpool for his guitar (Vox AC sim). You may be interested :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:40 am

namahshaman wrote: ...In addition to the Motion Sound amps (KP500 + SW250), which handle the main outs from the line mixer, I also use one of the mixer's Aux sends out to a Vox AC15 tube amp, then with the turn of a knob I can send as much or as little of a signal through the gritty overdrive of a classic tube. This can turn some of the patches from the Nord (AND the 37) into balls-out-screaming leads for solos and such…make your guitarist jealous :mrgreen: .

At our last show another bands keyboardist saw me stack the AC15 on top of my Motion Sound rig and said, What's that for? To which I responded, Oh thats my overdrive pedal :wink:.
^That's just so awesome! Those MotionSound amps are really incredible, and I would not have believed it had you told me, until I played through one and heard it myself. So huge sounding, and the drive is perfect.

Also, I am lucky to own two Vox AC30s, so I know exactly what you mean about the overdrive inside those tubes. :D

*sigh* Going to be while before I can justify a Nord. Have to get a new tenant in here, then get myself settled in a whole new city, find a new band. 8)

namahshaman

Post by namahshaman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 am

Very cool, Stiiiiiiive.

Honestly, I've tried many many different pedals (overdrive, fuzz, distortion) including several with actual tubes (tried 2 different VOX pedals too), but I could never quite get the tone even remotely close to what I get with the AC15 (perhaps like you with your particular delay preferences :wink: ). I'm always still open to the idea…it would certainly lighten my load and trim a minute or two off my setup time, but the tone…my god, the tone :?

Obviously, I'm not saying that the perfect overdrive pedal for my particular taste doesn't exist somewhere, just that I haven't found it yet.

A few drive pedals I've tried:

EHX- Muff, Germanium, Big Muff Pi
Minifooger MF-Drive
VOX- British Boost and Straight Six (both tube)
Fulltone- Fulldrive and OCD
Blackstar Overdrive

Basically, I got tired of auditioning so many pedals when the Vox just sounded so good…plus I already had it :lol:

I am still open to suggestions through. :P

Also, if you like a great Reverb…the little handmade pedal in the top left of the photo is a Bob Burt custom (local boutique pedal/amp builder in my hometown, some of his stuff is on ebay). It sounds incredible and fits perfectly at the end of my minifooger chain (direct from the 37). Then, I have the Cathedral and a Boss RE-20 (space echo wannabe) on my FX send from the mixer, so I can send anything in the rig through it (Nord, Moog, Virus Snow, Sampler). It's endless fun.

I understand your feelings about the 104 vs the Minifooger delay. Luckily, I prefer the 104 in my Voyager home setup and the Mini in my band live rig. :lol:

Oh, and MoogProg, 2 AC30s :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: a little jealous…but yes, you certainly understand my whole "tone" issue :lol:

Now, we really seem to have opened up the FX discussion…and so be it :mrgreen: .

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:52 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:About the Vox: ideally, I wouldlike to be able to have a basement with some great guitar amps for synths, EPs, organs etc and some roadies to carry them haha.
Another *sigh* for the fact that I am leaving a remote location where I can be VERY LOUD at practically any hour. At least my new place does not share any walls with the building next door, also it's thick brick. We'll see.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:37 am

Namah, not trying to sell anything, but my guitarist is the kind of guy to play on a ’81 Twin Reverb and he was totally conquered by a Tech21 Blonde. As he and another friend of mine says: it’s impossible to get the same acoustic pressure impression as with an mic’d amp, but the sound of it with respect to the weight/size factor just nails it.
He sold the Twin as he got fed up to call friends to transport it :) So it’s worth trying it!

About the RE20, one year ago, I was about to sell it as I did not use it that much. But the reverb… it’s weird: it’s the least configurable one I ever used but I love its sound! I ended using it again haha.

I’ll check the Bob Burt’s stuff, thanks for that :)

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:58 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:...my guitarist is the kind of guy to play on a ’81 Twin Reverb and he was totally conquered by a Tech21 Blonde. As he and another friend of mine says: it’s impossible to get the same acoustic pressure impression as with an mic’d amp, but the sound of it with respect to the weight/size factor just nails it.
^Guitarist for the last band I was in plays through an '80s era (Silverface) Twin, while I used the AC30. Great sound together! No point here other than "yea for big amps!".

But I do have an AC30 character box (Joyo knock-off), and a smaller modeling amp (SuperChamp XD). Using either of these modeling devices, I can dial-in a tone that records almost identical to the AC30, but in no way does it ever sound the same in real life. That is, to my ears there is always a loss of "substance" using the simulations. Just how it is.

Since we are talking about live rigs, I think this is an important distinction. But also, I certainly get it that not every gig is ready for a big, loud tube amp. YMMV and all that. 8)