Should I keep only the Sub37?

Everything Sub.
andreasroman

Re: Should I keep only the Sub37?

Post by andreasroman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 am

Dapifer wrote:Makes sense. Do you use Sub 37 samples in the AR too? Or do you feel it's neccessary with that?
Sampled loops, yes. Though not one shots. I feel there's so much going on within the Sub37, that it doesn't transfer well as a chromatically sampled version of itself, especially not bass sounds.

I think there's a charm in the Rytm's crude way of dealing with chromatic samples, but it doesn't fit the complex and beatiful nature of the Moog oscillators.

But loops work just fine, and the Rytm's filter add a nice color to them, an interesting mix between what the Moog offers and what the Rytm can add.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 am

I'm honestly a bit jealous of your sampling/looping capabilities. Seems like a great set-up, even with its limitations. I have an OTB sequencer, and an OTB recorder, and even a looper, but no sampling at all short of going back-in-the-box. Works OK for me, tho, because so much of my music is non-synth-based.

andreasroman

Post by andreasroman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 pm

MoogProg wrote:I'm honestly a bit jealous of your sampling/looping capabilities. Seems like a great set-up, even with its limitations. I have an OTB sequencer, and an OTB recorder, and even a looper, but no sampling at all short of going back-in-the-box. Works OK for me, tho, because so much of my music is non-synth-based.
Well, Elektrons' way of dealing with samples is free from boundaries. They're really leading the pack in this regard now. My live rig is only the Octatrack and the Analog Rytm, and if had only those to build tracks on as well, with no ability to sample other gear and just use whatever's out there, it would still work extremely well. There are musicians who create entire albums only with an Octatrack.

I'm too much in love with creating my own loops and sequences, sampling them and mangling them, though. So I'll hang on to my hard-earned gear and make the most of it.