Sub37 MOD 1 not working in PANEL mode?

Everything Sub.
ObtuseMoose

Sub37 MOD 1 not working in PANEL mode?

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun May 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi all,

Happy new owner of a Sub37 here. Been having a lot of fun exploring it, but I've run into something puzzling. Don't know if it's a firmware bug or if it's something I might have set wrong. I'm running firmware version 1.1.0.

Basically, the problem is that nothing in the MOD 1 section has any effect when in PANEL mode. More specifically, I:

- turn the unit on and bring up any of the factory presets (the PRESET switch is lit)

- hit a key and hear the expected sound.

- move the PITCH AMT knob in the MOD 1 section and I hear the LFO modulating the pitch as expected.

- press the PANEL button and hit a key. Now the sound changes to whatever the knob setting are, as expected.

- but now when I move the PITCH AMT knob in the MOD 1 section, nothing changes. (The OSC switch below the PITCH AMT knob has both 1 & 2 lights on.) Same if I move the FILTER AMT knob, or the MOD 1 AMT knob, no change to the sound.

- the knobs in the MOD 2 section always have the expected effect, regardless of PRESET or PANEL mode.

Is there something I might have set wrong that would make MOD 1 seem to be disabled in PANEL mode?

I've emailed Moog support, but being a long holiday weekend in the US, I don't expect an answer from them for a few days, so I though I'd ask here.

--
Moose.

GregVDS

Re: Sub37 MOD 1 not working in PANEL mode?

Post by GregVDS » Mon May 25, 2015 8:30 am

Did you check in Mod1 controllers Menu what is the Mod Wheel setting? Usually, it's 100%, hence if the mod wheel is set at its minimum level, the Mod1 has no effect at all. If you don't want the mod wheel position to have any effect, and the mod section just to work as the MOD2 does, you need to put the MOD WHEEL amount to OFF in the menu. Check also aftertouch and velocity. Both these can have a higher or lower setting than OFF, and so modulate the mod effect. Interesting, but disturbing at first.

Hope it helps,

Greg

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Mon May 25, 2015 8:40 am

And don't forget to post your Sub37 in this thread :-) :http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23186

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Mon May 25, 2015 10:40 am

GregVDS wrote:Did you check in Mod1 controllers Menu what is the Mod Wheel setting? Usually, it's 100%, hence if the mod wheel is set at its minimum level, the Mod1 has no effect at all.
Thanks, Greg. Yes, that's exactly what it was. All is working as expected now.

--
Moose

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Wed May 27, 2015 7:48 am

Great to hear it :-).
I was stuck several times wondering why on Earth that Mod1 was not working, then I found out.
Hope it helped.

Greg